The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 4
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:17 pm 
Creator

TPKR Episode 4 is now Live!

Feedback, reviews, critiques and your general thoughts are all welcome! Enjoy!

The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 4:
http://youtu.be/M-R0HVU1rOY

Post subject: Re: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 4
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:44 pm 
Newcomer

THAT WAS AMAZING!!!! Richie you are going in such a good direction with this series. All these cliffhangers and Koopa scenes REALLY make you want to see the next episode! And it makes you want to see who the koopa is SO badly! Next Thursday cannot come soon enough. I like that reference to Wario there and I like the whole Clause thing and how you guys are minorly hinting that this is an SMB sequel but not actually saying that it is. Like i said I REALLY want to see the rest of the series. Thank you so much for making this series and I really want to meet you guys at Vidcon one of these years but sadly, it's quite unlikely. Keep up the awesome work!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:54 pm 
Commentator

I was kinda hoping for Clause to join Mario...buy eh...Denise might become the Robin of this tale. And might be called Peach by accident...

And I thought we would see who Koopa was, but no. Still thinking that who we've seen as Koopa is a decoy though...

Thanks ML!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:03 pm 
Veteran

I don't have much to talk about this time, just three things.

1. The effect in which Mario jumped through the window seemed a bit weird to me. I won't comment much on it.

2. There are a couple shots with straight-up, flat white backgrounds. I've learned this the hard way myself. It's not very interesting to the eye. If the wall had more texture, you would have been able to get away with it.

3. In the scene where Mario is talking to Brian Roth, the background is extremely over-exposed. I know what you're thinking, right? There was no way to fix this in any manner. Some over-exposure in the background can be excuse-able, as long as there are spots that are around the same f-stop as your subjects. I understand that this man may have only been available for a certain time; however, I will suggest this anyway: Film later on in the afternoon or earlier in the morning, closer to or during golden hour (magic hour). Golden hour is an hour before sunset, it's also an hour after sunrise, but very few people get up that early. Anytime near noon though, you will get that over-exposure problem. The lower the sun's altitude, the less contrast in your shot. Another option, although more impractical, is to create your own shadows with some available resources. You would make sure that the material is not visible in the shot and try to look natural, of course. I don't suggest doing the second one very often.

That last one was a bit long-winded, but I digress. I hope this helps for the future.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:26 pm 
Commentator

Don't have time to make this a long review, so I'll keep it short:

Pros:
- Pacing for this episode was perfect. No complaints at all.
- I figured the Koopa wouldn't actually be at the compound, but it's nice to see him be competent.
- At first, I thought it was weird to have Mario reveal himself to Claus as Michael. But I don't mind it too much. I'm interested in seeing if this ends up with Claus doing more to help Mario, or another trap. Either way would be interesting.
- Nice reference (I think?) to SMB days.
- Casting for Mayor Carson was perfect. Good to see a lot of faces coming back for this.
- Matt stood out to be this time also. Always good to see scenes were less dialogue still conveys so much. I thought his scenes were handled perfectly.

Cons:
- ... Actually, nothing really stood out to me as flawed this week.

Good episode! Looking forward to next week!

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:21 pm 
Freelancer

Well this was a really great episode. Good plot, pacing. Pretty much all around.

I love the way you're setting up the Koopa here. You really get the sense of the power he has and how well he can think ahead before Mario strikes. That dummy at the beginning was a nicely pulled diversion.

The whole little plot with Clause was also really well done. It's nice to humanise what would be some average mook/henchman and show who they really are. Making them realise they're nothing more than a pawn to an evil madman is a neat step.

Other than that I really enjoy the fast pace this show has. It gives this sense of urgency of the Koopa's power really spreading and Mario's struggles to stop it. Who would know in four episodes time, that the Mayor and the Koopa would join forces and let the Goombas take over the police? I didn't and the show is really paying off for me on subverting my expectations.

Other musings:
* Damn Matt's acting chops are fantastic. His scenes as Bill are so short but he's able to convey a lot. I really felt for him when you could tell how scared he was of the Goombas taking over.
* I spy a little Wario reference. StMB sequel or not? *looks left and right*
* Scott really made Mayor Carson seems a like an utterly corrupt politician. Good job on that...yeah yeah *insert all politicians are corrupt joke here*

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:40 pm 
Newcomer

I really am wondering at this point if this is indeed part of the Stupid Mario bros universe you created. I'd like to note that Mario and Bowser hardly seemed like friends throughout their appearances, so Mario's speech regarding Bowser sorta made me think this was it's own series in a whole new universe. Granted, I'd be totally fine with this, seeing as Stupid Mario bros wouldn't heavily influence this series either way, given the dark tones.

I truly believe that the pacing and acting of each episode is slowly getting better. There were no lines in this episode that made me cringe or snicker, and for that, I tip my imaginary hat to you. I found the talk between Mario and Denise to be VERY well done, with the music accommodating it nicely. Though I was upset to see Clause help Mario so quickly, I honestly knew it was coming and hey, who knows, the two may very well meet on the battlefield once again as enemies. I also found the Koopa's appearances quite good, and I really feel like Richie is trying to leak the tiniest bit of evidence in every appearance the Koopa makes.

There weren't to many things that bothered me in this episode at all. One thing that did feel slightly cliched was the Koopa having a dummy in his place. Wouldn't the goombas have noticed that thing just sitting there all day? Also, when the goomba was talking over that walkie talkie, it was clear the voice was simply overlayed onto that scene. I really feel like it would have had a better tone if you actually played the Koopa's voice over the walkie talkie itself. Little changes like that can make all the difference.

Very good episode overall! I can't wait to see what you have saved for us in the weeks to come. I give this episode an 8 out of 10, keep it up.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:21 pm 
Creator

Walrus Man wrote:
I really am wondering at this point if this is indeed part of the Stupid Mario bros universe you created. I'd like to note that Mario and Bowser hardly seemed like friends throughout their appearances, so Mario's speech regarding Bowser sorta made me think this was it's own series in a whole new universe. Granted, I'd be totally fine with this, seeing as Stupid Mario bros wouldn't heavily influence this series either way, given the dark tones.

Mario was NOT referring to Bowser at all. In Fact In TPKR Episode 1 it was confirmed that Mario Killed Bowser. So I am wondering how to came to this conclusion?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:11 pm 
Newcomer

My apologies for being so unclear. In Mario's discussion with Clause, I immediately presumed he was talking about Bowser and that the "showed him the light" line was referencing the fact that he killed him. I now see the point of what you really meant though. I assume now that it was Wario he was mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:53 am 
Newcomer

Great episode, guys!

But I have a question: I notice that Jackie is in the episodes. Didn't you guys (RMA and Dane & Jackie) get into a disagreement and agree not to work together again? Which leads to the main question: do you still not talk to Dane? I mean, it's been 4 years.