The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 3
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:56 pm 
Creator

TPKR Episode 3 is now Live!

Feedback, reviews, critiques and your general thoughts are all welcome! Enjoy!

The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVo5zaf2VVI

Post subject: Re: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 3
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:17 pm 
Novice

Gosh darn it, I love those establishing shots! They really give off a sense of grandeur. Horus is just so devious! Doug plays the role really well, but DANG, that one particular moment (no spoilers) was unexpected! Meanwhile, that news jingle has officially burrowed itself into my head, haha! The progression/ pace of these episodes is really smooth and nice, nothing feels rushed. You guys are doing really good with this series! Can't wait for Episode 4! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:33 pm 
Commentator

Whoa...looks like my theory of who Koopa is is wrong...

But it feels a bit early to be facing Koopa right now. Looks like at least part of my theory could be true...

And I freaking love Denise. She's probably my favorite character.

But the football part felt like padding...so 9/10

Thanks ML!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:41 pm 
Storyteller

Things started picking up! Awesome! Loved the initial scene with Rich and Chris. I love your dynamic! It's what the channel was built on!

I also loved the seen with Clause. Though a fireball to the face has GOT to hurt. Could not help myself from giggling when Mario patted the goomba's pocket once he put the beacon, like a double check.

I agree with the above users that the last Horus' scene was quite surprising! in all senses of the scene!

The romantic tension between the Mario and his savior was palpable. It seems Mario's princess isn't in another castle this time!

Looking forward to next week!

i give it 5/5 Safety Pats for Double Checking.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:10 pm 
Newcomer

Woo hoo! I figured out my old password! I'm now officially part of the forums!

That being said, I want to say that I am really happy that I'm a favorite character of someones! Thanks for the nice comment Lady Juse. You really made me feel better about my performance. I'm glad everyone has nice things to say.

And here I was worrying to Rich and Chris about how my hair looked in every shot. Hehe sorry boys.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:13 pm 
Newcomer

Great episode! I found a few things odd though. For starters, Clause was beaten way too easily. Either the scene was too quick, or it's all a trap, and Clause meant for that to happen to lure him into the base. I also think Doug was killed off too soon. I thought he might be The Koopa but apparently not. I was excited that Doug was back after a long time but it turns out, we didn't get to see a lot with him. I also don't really like the mario and Denise love story. She's obviously way too young for a guy who is 55 years old. But overall, FAN FREAKIN TASTIC episode! I love this show so much! Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:19 pm 
Storyteller

Welcome (back) to the forums Jackie! And your hair looked gorgeous in every shot, don't you worry. If there's anything RMA knows, it's cinematography.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 pm 
Veteran

I'll start with cinematography as usual. First, in the final close-up of the Lieutenant in the first conversation between him and Mario, he has barely any looking room. He should be more on the right of the shot. Next, make of this as a note for Andrew, in the news, typically on CUs, they only the person talking is visible. Not even Matt's arm should have been visible. Finally, the close-up of Doug's gun, as he was about to pull the trigger should have been angled towards the right of the frame. The way you had the gun implied he wasn't aiming at Mario, because Doug was standing to the left. Everything was fairly spot on and looked pretty good.

Next, I'll comment on the editing of dialogue scenes. It seemed very much like a ping-pong match. Sometimes, you want to stay on one person for their reaction as the other is talking. Just cutting back and forth on the one who is talking can be debilitating at times.

As for audio, remember to get roomtone for every location, and if needed, overlay over the entire scene or between cuts of dialogue.

The story and acting has been very solid. Denise is my favorite character too. Jackie seems to put a lot of emotion into the character. It's because of this the audience can connect with the character the most.

I know it seems like I can be tough with my reviews at times, but I just want you guys to know that it's cause I want you guys to grow. I'm younger than you guys by a few years, yes, and I don't think I'm that great of a DP right now in my life. Film is my life, more than anything else. No matter what I say in no way is meant to be negative or arrogant. I'm just a filmmaker, trying to help fellow filmmakers, as she herself learns.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:43 pm 
Commentator

Little bit late this week since I just wrapped up my semester work. Here we go!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Last time I'll say it since it is getting old. Never getting tired of those city shots.

- I'm not sure who the sports anchor was, but he seemed familiar for some reason. Not sure why.

- I was looking forward to the meeting between John and Mario. It did not disappoint. I love the friendly dynamic between both characters. Again, it makes this adaptation of a Batman story feel more like its own unique story rather than feeling too much like an adaptation... if that makes any sense. Of course, that doesn't mean it has to feel completely unique, as it's always nice to have those little nods like Mario vanishing when John isn't looking for only a second.

- New Outdoor Location? Nice. Doug making another appearance and being in the same area as another cast member? Awesome. Dr. Horus is one of my favorite characters, mainly because I like how Doug is playing the character. I thought the interaction between Dr. Horus and Denise in this scene was pretty good. You're doing a good job Jackie.

- Fight scene with Claus was ok (Although the fireball to the head tactic felt a bit weird to me. Looked like you killed him instead of knocking him out. Although I suppose I may be used to to characters getting knocked out/out of breath only by getting hit in the chest with a fireball from the SMB days.) Scene felt a little too quick to me, but not the end of the world.

- Ok, I didn't see
Spoiler:
Dr. Horus entering the house
coming. Well played.

-
Spoiler:
WHAT? WHAT?!?!?! I have to admit, I thought another character would have shot Dr. Horus (NOOOOOO! He was the perfect Asshat!), as the trope usually goes. Did not expect Denise to pull out a gun. Again, well played.

- Errrr... Not sure how I feel about
Spoiler:
That romantic hint moment between Mario and Denise. Mainly because when we first met Denise's character, she mentions she first saw him as a little girl. Something about the age difference seems a bit... off.

- The time in-between Claus getting knocked out and waking up feels a bit too long for some reason. (Felt like Mario knocked him out during the day, returned home at night, and then went back to John's house the following day.) If it was supposed to be a short time in-between, it might have been the time of the day the
Spoiler:
Dr. Horus appears at Mario's House
scene was filmed. If that was the case... I mean the fireball to the head might make him being knocked out for a longer time feel more believable... but still.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So. Pros and Cons.

Pros:
- Pacing problem appears to be gone. Although Claus fight felt a little too short after the build up to it, and the time between when he was knocked out felt a bit too long. But it never felt like any of scenes were flying by too quickly like the first two episodes. So that's a plus.

- Doug keeps the title for favorite character in this episode, since you've got to love the asshat.
Spoiler:
A pity he's dead though.

- I thought Jackie did a nice job in the scenes she was in. I'm curious to see if this leads to her character being more than just the Lois Lane/Vicky Vale character.

- Still think Chris was the right person to play Lt. John. Interaction between him and Mario feels unique to the show.

- Favorite lines: "He stinks and I don't like him!" guy. I dunno why, I chuckled. Also "Isn't he that asshat on the news?"

Cons:

- See comments above about Claus fight/knock out time.

-
Spoiler:
Not really taking points off, but NOOOOOO! Dr. Horus! You died too soon!

-
Spoiler:
Still a bit iffy on the potential Denise/Mario romance due to age difference/I'm falling in love with the older guy I met when I was five. I may blame the star wars prequels for these feelings. Since Kid Anakin Skywalker and Teen/Young Adult Padme suddenly either same age or age difference may be pushing things.

Not a bad episode. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough. Nice work everyone.

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 pm 
Freelancer

Wow this show is really heating up, that last half was pretty exciting.

I love Mario and Gibb's dynamic, then again when it's Richie and Chris, you can never go wrong. Denise is improving pretty well as a character and man does Doug play that "asshat from the news" (love that line by the way) so well.

And I have to say I didn't see that ending coming, it's a nice touch.

On the other side of things, yeah that fight with Clause could've went on a little longer. But apart from that I really loved this episode and I can't wait to see what Mario does when he catches up to Clause and the current base.

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:53 am 
Newcomer

Daww, thanks guys! You're making me blush!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:40 am 
Creator

Thanks again for the insightful critiques. And for insuring Jackie that her performance is great lol.

To address a couple things, cause i cant remember everything,:

Age differing relationships never bothered me. My sister married someone 20 years older than her. So Denise being younger is fine. As long as everyone is over 18 its fine lol

Doug was in town briefly, so i thought "hey he has enough time to play a 2 episode character". I didnt want to put another character in a coma in hopes that doug 'might' return someday lol. For what he did i thought he was fantastic.

The clause fight was short for 3 reasons:

1: Fight scenes in SMB started to feel repetitive to me. And i definitely don't want to get bored of this show in season 1. Why have a big alley way fight with Clause in episode 3 when we just had one in episode 2.

2: Mario was taken by surprise and caught off guard in episode 2 this time he was ready.

3: Mario has always (in games and especially smb) been better at fighting someone the second time around. He knows how clause moves, so this time he was a piece of cake.

Those are my thoughts. Let me know if you guys want anything else cleared up.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:46 am 
Commentator

Richalvarez wrote:
To address a couple things, cause i cant remember everything,:

Age differing relationships never bothered me. My sister married someone 20 years older than her. So Denise being younger is fine. As long as everyone is over 18 its fine lol

Doug was in town briefly, so i thought "hey he has enough time to play a 2 episode character". I didnt want to put another character in a coma in hopes that doug 'might' return someday lol. For what he did i thought he was fantastic.

The clause fight was short for 3 reasons:

1: Fight scenes in SMB started to feel repetitive to me. And i definitely don't want to get bored of this show in season 1. Why have a big alley way fight with Clause in episode 3 when we just had one in episode 2.

2: Mario was taken by surprise and caught off guard in episode 2 this time he was ready.

3: Mario has always (in games and especially smb) been better at fighting someone the second time around. He knows how clause moves, so this time he was a piece of cake.

Those are my thoughts. Let me know if you guys want anything else cleared up.

1) Fair point. No issue with it then, I suppose.

2) Completely understood. And hey, for the time he was on, he did a fantastic job.

3) Ok, that's fair enough. I can't argue against those points.

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:03 am 
Commentator

(Just wondered how Season 5 would've ended if Doug hadn't come back. Would've everyone left with Waluigi still in coma?) (By the way, welcome back, Jackie.)

Another brilliant episode. We get see more of Chris' character, which is great. Also, the familiar house interior returned. A bit weird, though, as I associate it more with Mario's house in Stupid Mario Bros, but it still worked.

Also, we have some sport's guy on the news as well. Yey!

Also, good job at surprising everyone, Richie, by killing off the character that everyone thought might have been the Koopa. Definitly a great cliffhanger. You also did a good job at the scene where Mario and Denise almost kiss.

I did love Matt's line where he said: "It seemed Dr. Horus didn't turn up."

I could keep on talking here, but then the other people have to wait to read too much. LOL!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, RICHIE!

(Oh, and TheHiddenOne, I agree with you. Doug did a brilliant job.)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:55 pm 
Newcomer

Thanks for clarifying Richie! But sadly, I'm sure it will be another year and a half before we see Doug again...Any who there was ONE LAST THING I was curious about. Will this series have bloopers? If not, do tell us why.