The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 1
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:03 pm 
Creator

Well, it’s been quite a while since I’ve visited the forums. This was always a fun place to discuss Stupid Mario Bros, so after the series ended, it’s no mystery why this place slowly became a ghost town.

However, I come here with good news. If you haven’t heard, we’re breathing new life into the Richalvarez Channel with a new Mario series called “The Plumber Knight Returns.” We’ve already uploaded Episode 1, which you can find below.

So, since we’re on the topic of new beginnings and bringing old things back to life, where does that leave the forums? Well, you’ll be happy to hear that I’ve been in touch with Adam, and asked him to make a new sub-forum for Plumber Knight. He says he’ll get to it as soon as he gets time. (Adam, if you’re reading this… hurry up! Lol!)

Anyway, one of the things I enjoyed most about Stupid Mario Bros. was being able to come here and read all of your in depth reviews, predictions, and all around awesome feedback. I miss that. And kicking off a new Mario series just doesn’t feel complete without having these forums up and running.

So… onto The Plumber Knight Returns. We just released Episode 1 this week. I could go into a huge speech about why we started this new series, what it means, etc…. but we actually covered all that in our Production Diaries. So, if you want to see behind the scenes of our production process—and get that speech on why we started up a new series—you can check the link to the playlist below.

In conclusion, after months of hard work, I’m happy to announce the Series Premiere of The Plumber Knight Returns. Watch it, and then let me know what you think! Feedback, reviews, critiques, and predictions are all welcome! If you have any questions, Chris and I will be happy to answer them, so long as they don’t spoil the plot. Lol!

Alright, here you go!

The Plumber Knight Returns – Episode 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mLsmfUaTfY

The Plumber Knight Returns – Production Diary Playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL71nQGjLMf9W9qdZ3lOgHF1LHRapOh3H2

So what are you thoughts on Episode 1? Let me know!

And by the way, thank you very much for supporting us over the years. We never would have attempted to create a new series if you guys hadn't enjoyed Stupid Mario Bros. so much. I really hope that with this new series, we can get some life back in these forums again. Once Adam makes that new Sub-Forum, I'll probably promote this place on Facebook/Twitter/YouTube sow we can get some new life here. =)

Sincerely,

-RichAlvarez & Crew

Post subject: Re: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 1
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:29 pm 
Co-Creator

Thanks for the update, Rich! It's good to be back!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:57 pm 
Storyteller

It's good to see you back, boys! This forum was really where i got my Web-legs, so to speak, and it's been five years since i first joined. So when Adam told me it's time for some "Spring Cleaning" of the forums i jumped at the chance.

Now onto the episode! I really enjoyed seeing you back in front of the camera. It felt like an old friend visiting.

I'd like to point out that seeing Matt play a news anchor in a serious light was a delightful change. Loved the groovin' tune in the coffee house, sorry to see Old man mushroom doesn't share my taste. The costuming for Older Mario was well done, especially the gray hair. The salt and pepper looks good on ya richie.

Ness grew up!! I think it's awesome to have seen him as a little guy and now grown, yet still having retained that snark. "I'm still psychic" had me laughing!

As for the rest i'm excited to see what you've got in store for us, Richie, Chris, and Co.: you have me hooked.

I give it 5 out of 5 new mario outfits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:05 am 
Freelancer

Location: i have lost myself if you find me tell me to remain right there and both of us will know where i am!
Feels oddly nostalgic writing these short reviews but might as well give my two cents.

With this being a pilot episode, can't say to much as for story. But the bits that are there seem to be concrete. Its definatly an interesting outake on something that we all know and love. Old man mario. Good to see that perspective other than the young and spry.

Technical issues there is a few. Slight camera blur when I assume it wasn't needed but, its very short and doesn't take you away from the show. (Though just pointing it out so that might catch your eye later). Deffinatly like that you guys are using new camera tricks to move the story forward instead of the simple cuts from stmb.

All in all guys very impressed so far. Even with it being just one episode so far. Defiantly going to watch out for this one in my sub box. And keep up to date.

Also good to see you guys back! Doing what made a huge impact on my life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:02 am 
Veteran

The Plumber Knight Episode One was a nice improvement on the technical side. You seemed to pay more attention to composition and for the most part what was in the frame. Remember, production design is key and makes for good cinematography. Not to mention, anything and everything is driven by the characters and the story. Do what feels right. You seemed to pay more I noticed that you didn't credit a cinematographer/Director of Photography, only those that worked on the aerial shots, which makes me quite curious.

Everyone's acting seemed decent, except for the girl. Her acting was extremely weak.

As for the story, there was a lot of exposition, but seeing as it is episode one and only 11 minutes, it's forgivable.

I hope you guys continue to improve. This appears to be the best thing you've produced so far, technically, so keep going in the direction you are going.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:19 am 
Co-Creator

Cap: Good to see you back too! Yeah, this forum definitely holds a special place in my memory as well. And now we get to make some new ones! Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the episode. It's really fun getting to read fan reviews again; feels like SMB all over, haha! 5 out of 5 Mario outfits isn't too bad of a start. So you mentioned that Adam commissioned you for some "Spring Cleaning." Does that mean you have Admin privileges now? Because I have some high quality images/assets for TPRK we could use to update the forum banner. Let me know if you're interested and I can send them over via Google Drive.

Relzer: Good to see another familiar face here! And yes, "oddly nostalgic" is the perfect way to describe returning to the forums. Glad to hear you like old-man-Mario and our new camera techniques! Yeah, there was some camera blur on a shot where we didn't quite pull focus. (I think you're referring to the end of the cafe scene.) We didn't notice that until editing, whoops! We'll try and keep a better eye out for that in the future.

Well, thanks again to both of you for sharing your thoughts! I don't know if it was Cap or Adam who made the new Plumber Knight board, but whoever it was, thank you very much! This Thursday when we post Episode 2, I'll plug the forums on our social media sites so that we can get some life in here again.

This is gonna be a fun season!

Cheers,

-Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:34 am 
Freelancer

I'm so glad to see this forum rising back up with some activity after all this time. Moving on...

Anyways to the episode:

Seeing as the show is just starting off now, there's not much I can really say for now.

The plot and cinematography is pretty solid and the acting is pretty good in many respects. Richie fits the old Mario look well and I really enjoyed Tim's brief return as Ness.

I'm definitely interested to see where this storyline goes, especially in expanding Mario's past and what led to him retiring (seriously though I was really caught off-guard by Luigi and Peach being revealed to be killed.)

In closing, I can wholeheartedly say that after watching this episode it never felt like you guys left the Mario/Nintendo image (outside of those skits, music videos and TSVGS eps :P )

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:35 am 
Co-Creator

Hey TheInsanityProd, good to see you again! I'll go ahead address your curiosity...

TheInsanityProd wrote:
...I noticed that you didn't credit a cinematographer/Director of Photography, only those that worked on the aerial shots, which makes me quite curious.

The reason we didn't credit a DP is because we had multiple cinematographers throughout the filming of Season 1. During the Teaser Trailer, the Cafe scene from Episode 1, and all of the News scenes, we had our friend Andrew Irish help us out. (He's in Production Diary 1) During the scenes that Richie's in, I did the cinematography; and during scenes I was in, Richie did the cinematography. We had a few other people that helped us out here and there, but for the most part, it was just Richie, Andy and I. So when I was typing out the credits for our crew, I figured it wasn't really worth listing a DP since there were so many of us. If/When we do Season 2, Andy will be our full time cinematographer.

Anyway, glad to hear you liked Episode 1 overall. Hope to see you around for the rest of the season, I'll look forward to reading your mini-reviews. =)

Cheers,

-Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:49 am 
Co-Creator

Hey JRPictures, good to see you here too! Man, it's really cool seeing you guys slowly come out of the wood-works! You're right, it's awesome seeing life here again after such a long stretch of emptiness.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the cinematography and acting by Rich and Tim.

Yeah, we've got quite the story planned for season 1, so we crammed a ton of exposition in early on so that we could get to the good stuff. But you'll just have to wait and see, lol!

JRPictures wrote:
In closing, I can wholeheartedly say that after watching this episode it never felt like you guys left the Mario/Nintendo image (outside of those skits, music videos and TSVGS eps :P )

Well said! It definitely feels like we picked up right where we left off. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:47 am 
Mediate

I'm not gonna get into the technical stuff, but..I do feel kinda optimistic about this. I like the idea and everything. I'll keep looking for it and I hope it gets even better than it is.
So far, so good, guys!

(By the way, it's good to be back again..^^;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 pm 
Freelancer

Ah man, whoa. This is heavy, this is heavy stuff

Man, all the dumb Jigglypuff I did here.

Aah, good times, good times.

Loved the camera work, great progression and advancement (compared to what you started with) definitly knocked me for a suprise, seeing as I kind of quit after season 2/3-ish (still hung around for my friends though)

The set ups were good, like the story, it's just. It makes me smile, bros. Less silly, more serious, but not too much that you'd lose the sense of it all. Seeing you grown like this...kind of like me.

Just one thing, the dispension of info through the newscast was just a tad too much. Too obvious. Maybe you guys should try relying less on these newscasts and more of natural conversations between characters.

For instance, you could have explained the death of Luigi better through Mario's conversation with...what's that guy's name again? Make the exposition a bit less...obvious.

I laughed at how the bridge exploded. It was so...obvious, and in a good way!

The newscast with the bridge exploding went way too fast. I get that you have to get the story started and such, but suddenly woman robbed- explosion - tape. It was waaaaay too fast.

Visual effects were good, editing is good. The budget issues are obvious, but overall, I enjoyed the setup, and am looking forward towards the rest!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm 
Role Player

It really is weird being back...I joined this website over 5 years ago! It's nice, overall everyone here is generally great! I'm optimistic about this, and I need I need an outlet from reality. So this could be that outlet.

Now to the episode:

The episode overall was very enjoyable! A lot of people said what already needed to be said. You guys upped it on your cinematography skills. I don't fault you on your previous cinematography because you guys were new to it really, and I know that stuff is expensive! So fantastic job on that!

I enjoyed the homage to Batman, it was fun and so very reminiscent to the RMA style of the not so subtle parodies. It was also great how you combined both the Joker style goons, and the Bane style villain.

As for what Insanityprod said about the exposition they are totally on point about it. There was a lot, but it was needed especially for those who just stumbled upon it, and are not new fans. I thought it was executed smoothly through the news anchors and Mario. Exposition is needed for every story, and sometimes it can appear awkward and forced. I didn't think it was in this case, unlike MM.

The only thing is, there are a lot of problems happening simultaneously. Little gang robberies... the BOOM an explosion on the bridge. It seemed kind of rushed but I get you guys wanted to fit it in.

Overall the episode was good! I hope to see more of it soon!

Here are my thoughts on Koopa... Koopa is Luigi. There I said it. Done. He's gone rogue since he didn't actually die but his brother abandoned him, and he went crazy like Loki falling into Space in Thor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:07 pm 
Middling

It's been over a year since I was last on here, but I maybe makign a comback now with this new series. I can tell the production is better than SMB and all the scenes look movie like. I can't wait to see Episode 2 and beyond. Nice start to a new series. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

It does feel good to be back doing this again, but a lot's changed. I've got quite a lot on my plate now especially at the end of this semester, but I can spend a bit of time here and there with the fourms. Like for instance, I made this subforum and now, with Cap's help, we're gonna take care of the bot problem.

As for this episode, I'm not gonna be too critical because it's just a pilot but I'll break down my thoughts as best as I can.

So starting with the name, The Plumber Knight is still a little uncomfortable. Plumber and Knight are both nouns, while Dark is an adjective describing Knight. It's like TMNT and how they're Ninja Turtles, two nouns but I suppose if enough people say it, it can be ignored.

The first thing I noticed is someone's been using a lot of Kevin Macleod music! That guy's great but he thrives on youtubers using his material so if you want to stand out more you might want to look into more obscure royalty free music for the entirety of the video.

Like everyone said before, the cinematography is terrific. A big step forward. The acting is a bit of a side step. Everyone did a good job but no stand out performances. Exposition was pretty heavy, but that's to be expected for a pilot. Mario's mission is handed to him on a silver platter: kill this guy who admitted to killing Luigi.

There are just a few minor flaws that I'd want to point out. The Female Goomba's switchblade sound effect was poor. It was highlighted by being directly followed up with the epic fireball one. Another one is where Goomba Chris runs away from the fireball then is walking away in the next shot. C'mon, these are rookie mistakes, you guys are better than this.

One more thing, the news scenes could have been made more realistic with a few simple steps. Check out this Smosh video from a few years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzq3a-BKXEM It's a fake news interview and they added a few nice touches like the banners with news story names, the ticker on the bottom, and the time/weather stamp in the corner is essential for any news show. All it takes is a few tiny details and it looks so much more believable.

I'm not gonna rate this one but it did get me a bit excited to see where things will go with this series in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 pm 
Role Player

Oh I have to agree with Adam on the fixing of the News Reel. It could be pretty easy to set up some fake news real. You could have an endless stream of news scrolling at the bottom. Like Adam said about the logo. The News loves to give the news and promote that their news is the best kind of news. Also they like to have different screen shots in the set because it keeps the viewer from getting bored (Not that this was boring), but that is how the news works nowadays. It's uber busy looking. Like every news report should be breaking news, with a fun back drop.