The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Re: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 pm 
Storyteller

You could just make up gibberish stories for the news ticker too. Heck, that'd be a great place to sneak in a subtle RMA forums advertisement!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:05 pm 
Veteran

SuperBanjo (Luigi) wrote:
Hey TheInsanityProd, good to see you again! I'll go ahead address your curiosity...

TheInsanityProd wrote:
...I noticed that you didn't credit a cinematographer/Director of Photography, only those that worked on the aerial shots, which makes me quite curious.

The reason we didn't credit a DP is because we had multiple cinematographers throughout the filming of Season 1. During the Teaser Trailer, the Cafe scene from Episode 1, and all of the News scenes, we had our friend Andrew Irish help us out. (He's in Production Diary 1) During the scenes that Richie's in, I did the cinematography; and during scenes I was in, Richie did the cinematography. We had a few other people that helped us out here and there, but for the most part, it was just Richie, Andy and I. So when I was typing out the credits for our crew, I figured it wasn't really worth listing a DP since there were so many of us. If/When we do Season 2, Andy will be our full time cinematographer.

Anyway, glad to hear you liked Episode 1 overall. Hope to see you around for the rest of the season, I'll look forward to reading your mini-reviews. =)

Cheers,

-Chris

I'll do my best to keep up-to-date with them. Although, I will be away from computers for two weeks in May, I'm going to California (I live on the East Coast.) Thanks for explaining the lack of an DP credit. That makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 am 
Commentator

It was a really great pilot. A little bummed on Luigi being dead, but hey.

Quick question, does this tie into the continuity of Stupid Mario Brothers?

And I too loved the Ness, he has really grown up a lot.

I give it 5/5 revamped fire effects (seriously, it looks awesome)

Thanks ML!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 am 
Commentator

So, I found out about this sequel series not too long ago. I had just wrote up a bunch of my thoughts while watching the episode, but then as I was about to post, I was logged out and lost everything I wrote. So to avoid that again, I'm going to keep this short.

I won't lie, when I saw (before watching the full episode) that this was a "darker"/batman inspired series/sequel series (Not sure if it is a sequel or not. I'm just judging it as its own thing unless otherwise stated, and even then, the old series really won't have that much of an effect on how I review), I was worried. I was afraid this was going to be learning the wrong lessons from previous seasons of SMB, and be more about a "dark"/action/"adult" series than a show with a focus more on story and character building.

I'm happy to be proven wrong about that, for the most part (A bit iffy on the way Peach and Bowser died IF this is a sequel series. Not really a complaint about death, just the way they died. But treating this like its own series, its not an issue.)

Pros:
-Points for awesome camera work. Those shots of the city show how far you've come production wise. I don't watch a lot of internet productions, and this is the first time I've seen shots like these used in a production like this. So it really, really stands out to me, and I probably won't get sick of seeing these kinds of shots. Bravo.

-I love the effort being put into world building. And I mean that in both seeing new locations used in your videos, and the effort being made in creating this city. Of course, you guys were limited by what you could do back in the SMB series days, but I always cherished the few times you guys were able to take production away from the usual areas. This helps make even the same locations used in doors feel like different areas when you use more outdoor locations.

-Always love seeing Ness back. Sequel series or not, Ness Movie Act 2 to Present Day was always my favorite, and seeing an older version of him that still feels like the SMB character I loved is always great.

- Speaking of returning people, nice to see Jackie back. Didn't know she was a regular now until today.

- Everyone who played a Thug. It was the perfect level of cheesy Batman Thugs that neither took itself too seriously, nor goofy enough to detract from the mood. These scenes convinced me that I didn't need to be worried about things getting too "serious" and "dark".

- Special Effects were great for everything except the bridge scene. Bridge effect got the job done, but didn't look as great as the other special effects for some reason.

- Matt as News Anchor is great to see. But I do kind of hope to see him outside the news program as well at least once.

- Rich, you did a nice job conveying Older Mario's emotions when looking at Luigi's old costume with regret, while also not saying anything. That stuck out to me.

- If you guys were making your own version of a Batman story (and I mean Batman as the main character, just to be clear) I would not like the fact that the main character is killing random thugs and "breaking the one rule". This isn't Batman though. Sequel series or not, I don't have an issue with Mario killing a thug like that. I'm still slightly iffy on the tone when it came to the way Peach and Bowser died, but considering the intent of the show it is not a big deal.

Cons:

- Extremely minor complaint. After being so used to how accurate the Mario & Luigi Caps are (Specifically that "M" and "L"), this hat, while perfectly fine, felt a bit weird seeing. That being said, the rest of the costume is fine, and obviously for story, practical and production reasons it makes sense to go with the costume you guys are using. Again, not a complaint worth making a major fuss over.

- The big problem I saw this episode was pacing, which probably occurred from the first scene where Mario looks at Luigi's old costume, to the second time/looking at his old costume. The pacing between the bridge blowing up in particular (before and after) felt really jarring. Now, in fairness, I always give leeway to these kinds of shows when it comes to pacing in the first episode. You guys had a lot to set up (Not to mention this is a 12? episode series). So I get it. When there is a lot to cover to set up the characters and the world (which is high priority in my book) for the first episode, some scenes are going to be rushed. Not a problem for this episode. But the pacing did have a negative effect when it came to that point in the episode, and it is just something to be aware of. Considering the effort you guys appear to be putting into writing, I don't think this should be a problem in future episodes. But it is something I wanted to point out.

I think overall, you guys did a good job with the start of this new series. You definitely exceeded my expectations, and I will follow along with this "season"/show. I look forward to seeing how you guys have progressed since Episode 75 not too long ago. I think I'm going to enjoy this.

Nice job!

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 am 
Freelancer

Well now that we are looking at a more serious parody than a satire comedy parody, then the reviews will be different and may be a little more strict than it was with Stupid Mario Brothers. But with that being said, I am impressed with this pilot. Most of the others already pointed out the cons, as well as the great stuff, and as a whole, I think it's a great pilot!

I like how you didn't have to go into flashbacks of the past, so it makes the past all more the mystery for the audience going in. So we don't know who killed Luigi or even if he's dead for certain. The burden of Mario's past is pretty great to make him more darker. Also for the possibility of the Koopa being the one to kill Luigi, is pretty good as it seems the intention you are going for with the villains is terror and intimidation. So the Koopa is probably lying just so he can have Mario killed with that horrible thought in his head.

As many people have pointed out, there does seem to be a heavy load of exposition in this episode. But too be fair, The Dark Knight Trilogy had tons of exposition while still being able to show the emotional progression of Bruce Wayne, which still is kind of the same thing here. We do see how this affects Mario and how people are hoping for him to come out of hiding. Also being a series of episodes, we need the Pilot to be the one episode that makes us understand the story, the setup, the threats, and how Mario is in this situation. The later episodes can definitely be used to fill in whatever we don't know yet, but pace the story following this psychological journey of Mario.

The acting is good. It does have its moments where you can tell a few of the actors are acting and not portraying much of a character. But I give it a pass as the Goombas are legitimately threatening. Sure they are definitely flawed, but they are a huge step up from the most of the Stupid Mario Brothers villains.

It could be just me, but being a more darker series, I was kind of hoping for more intimidation. What you have is good for a general audience, but when I saw that one Goomba holding the women down on the floor, I was thinking maybe the intimidation would be more powerful if we think they're giving her a second chance and after saying "good," we see a brief muzzle flash, with a gun sound as we just witnessed a brief moment of them killing her. It seems unlikely she would be killed after calling the cops. Not that they wouldn't be true to their word, it just seems unlikely. This is only a nitpick, because it doesn't have to be that dark if you don't intend it to. It just seems like the way these Goombas are set up, they seem to spread terror by threatening people, blowing up a bridge, and even their leader sending that shocking fact to the city, including Mario himself.

Also I could make the argument that maybe the news thing seems less like a news and more like people acting as they are reading their teleprompter. But then again, I give it a benefit of the doubt as when people are in front of cameras, they usually do have to act less shocked by bad news, just so it doesn't make the villains (or haters in reality) look like they are succeeding in intimidating whoever they want to terrorized. It would be cool if we had an episode where we see the new anchors in person off camera and we can see the looks on their faces are different compared to how they are on Live TV. In many ways, this is true to celebrities, news reporters, Hunger Games tributes (oh wait, wrong reality), and talk show hosts where they don't act like they are bothered by it, and yet in reality they kind of hate having to lie what they need to lie, avoid frowning to bad news, or smile when they feel intimidated. I'm not criticizing anything with the news aspect as Adam has pointed out what you should add for the news sequences, but maybe you could do an episode like that as a social media satire. But that's only a suggestion.

Truth to told, I can't say much more on what I think because I think I need to see more episodes in order to fully say my opinions on the Pilot. But as a whole, it is a great start to a promising series, and I hope this Season succeeds for a second Season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 pm 
Novice

Man, it's been a long time since I was last on here, but it's good to be back, and it's good that you guys are back too, and better than ever! I'm really liking this series so far; its tone and feel differ quite a lot from StMB. I absolutely LOVE the cinematography, much more cinematic and professional. The pacing is real nice, and so far this series seems really unpredictable. The Goombas are awesome in this series; I like how much of a threat they pose, and how downright friggin' MANIACAL this Koopa character is. I'm really looking forward to Episode 3! Keep up the awesomeness, RMA! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm 
Middling

I really liked it the serious tones yet sprinkled with some laughs the emotional ties we missed with the characters I loved it the new effects are really impressive I kinda predicted luigi would be dead but still enjoyed it richie good job brother your doing us proud you've grown in scripting and directing and acting and strong plot points so I feel like the show has grown with us you are on ur way and another master piece five out of five fireballs welcome back mario

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:13 pm 
Newcomer

Wow. I'm so late at reviewing this, it isn't even funny. But I'd really like to put in my two cents on a site that isn't crowded like youtube. So here we go.

When I heard Richie was making a new series, I was pretty excited. And seeing it change from light-hearted to dark was actually no issue for me. Even the premise was quite good! But I still worried that without having as many actors remaining in RMA, we'd see Chris dressed up as every goomba or something lol. Surprisingly, this was no issue at all, as you've managed to recruit a plethora of capable actors! Good job. Listed below are a few other things I found quite good.

Immediately, I loved the camera work and new locations (as Richie mentioned in the production diary) its much better than Chris's backyard. Costumes are also great and I can tell you put some thought into them. It would have been so easy to stick with the old Mario costume and throw creativity out the window. And I absolutely loved the talk between Mario and Ness, certainly one of my favorite parts in the episode was Mario's line about going home (though I wish he had stayed bitter and old a bit longer).

As intriguing as the first episode was, I cannot say this was a perfect episode devoid of any flaws. The banter between goombas was a bit painful, perhaps it was their accents, or maybe I just can't take any villains who awkwardly stand close together around the corner of a wall seriously. As others have noted, the news portion seemed a little unrealistic and could use some effects added for realism. Lastly, one thing that bothered me more than anything was the bridge explosion. Don't get me wrong, the effect was great, but it happened so quickly and without any buildup, it just felt pointless and awkward.

Overall, I am not disappointed in the slightest. Richie had to deliver a lot of information in a very short period of time (considering the shorter length of the season). I'm certainly interested and will be sure to stay updated all the time on what the future of this series holds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:17 am 
Commentator

It's weird coming here again after a long time of absence, but it's also great to be back on "the old spot", as I like to call it. Anyways, on to the main thing:

The pilot episode was great. It still takes me time to get used to the fact that we will (probably) see more orginal characters and not a bunch of Nintendo related characters as was the case with Stupid Mario Brothers. But if you're doing a more serious series, than that's alright.

In your production diary, you mentioned that Mario being older represents the fact that the viewers have also gotten older and I absolutly think that's case.

What's also good is that the pilot immediatly explains the absence of Luigi, (well, not immediatly, but we quickly get to the point ever since Ness mentions him). Like I said in a reaction on your production diaries: you don't need involve ALL the Mario characters, but at least Luigi needs some explaining as he is Mario's brother. Actually, it's bascily his series as well, since it's Mario getting revenge on the killer of his brother. The scenes of Mario talking to Luigi's clothes are also beautifully emotional and very realistic as everybody has (at some point) lost somebody they love dearly.

The wide city shots are brilliant and combined with the greyish color scheme shows that this is a much different show than Stupid Mario Brothers which was all brightly colored for most of the episodes, especially with the outdoor scenes. I found the bridge explosion rather funny when it happened.

And then there's the Ferral City News. Matt and his co-star are brilliant as newsreaders and it's great to see Matt in a more serious way. Still, I (like others) think it could be a bit updated. Adam mentioned adding a banner with extra news stories, which is something I think might make it better. I also find the background somewhat unrealistic. You did some episodes of Youtube News in the past where you put yourself into a real newsstudio and I think that would make it a bit more realistic. On a positive note, I love the music that's heard at the start of the news.

Also, I think the episode ended with a good cliffhanger, which is not always easy to do as the pilot is the first episode that one makes and has to convince the audience to continue watching the show.

Finally, another positive thing is that you used more city like locations and less nature scenes, which was what Stupid Mario Brothers had all the time. Also, the use of your own house, instead of Chris' is also good, as Chris' interior would be more identified with Stupid Mario Brothers.

Overall, this was a good episode and makes me look forward to the continuation of the series.