The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: The Evil Appeal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:22 pm 
Intermediate

An honest subject: What is it about evil beings within works of fiction that appeal to the general audience? Is it their ability to defy the common law and good? Is it the display of their mental destruction or decadence? Is it their power, their control, or their dominance within a specific area of their defining trait in being? The answers vary, the characters vary, and even the universes vary, but we all know and love certain villains and evil beings within our fictional worlds, so what is it about them that we love so much?

Below, feel free to discuss the question to whatever means you like. Perhaps you'd like to talk about a specific character you love, or several, or just the general idea in itself; whatever. Just open up and let your views be known and said.

In that, don't dis other people's views, please, and follow the general forum rules otherwise.

Beyond that, I look forward to seeing what traits appeal to you. Personally, I have always been a villain-lover at heart and the detail I can get into the mind-set of the characters can be a tad too deep to enlist here in this first post, but I'd love to have the chance to learn from others and their loves/desires in evil; whatever form it takes within a work or fiction.

That said, please do discuss and enjoy.

Remember:
THAT'S LORD GAVIN TO YOU!

Last edited by LordGavin on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Evil Appeal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:43 pm 
Novice

Gavin, I myself am a villain lover. Villains for me add a sense of complexity to stories. A hero is often a little two dimensional and sometimes predictable, whereas a villain throws us off balance not knowing what kind of chaos they'll bring. Also, behind every villain is a very sad story, rarely are they evil for the sake of evil, they have reasoning behind their madness. Ex: beaten as a child, loss of everything they love, lifetime of loneliness. They appeal to the audience, because above all else we pity them. Villains are tragic characters. Since this is Richalvarez forums I will use an example from SMB. The Darkness was locked away inside Decious for centuries. His lack of Free-Will drove him to madness and his reign of terror during the movie was a result of him expressing to himself and to the rest of the world that he can now do whatever he pleases. If you think about it, that's quite sad. Being locked away for so long that in order to prove your expression of freedom you must dominate over others. I'm a writer, and of all the characters I create and write, the villains are definitely the most fascinating and fun to write for. I've conjured up some pretty devilish characters and of the people who have seen the films they (the villains) wind up being chosen as the favorite characters. Another reason they appeal to us is we get to live vicariously through them. We (hopefully) are not evil people, so we find it interesting when we get to see through the eyes of someone who is most opposite us. Thomas Hobbes may have been correct when he said that humans have an innate desire to commit evil and acts of selfishness. We don't live in an anarchist society so we can't freely express this due to fear of an authority figure, therefore the acts of villains in fiction appeal to us because we subconsciously desire to be them. I'm on break at work right now, so I gotta go. I may add some more stuff later on.
Good topic Gavin!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:33 pm 
Fan Girl

I'm not a fan of villians, really.
In this world right now it is harder to do good and it is very easy to do evil, so no.

I do remember, though, that when I was a kid I went on vacations with my aunt, who is very religious, and made us play a game were we pick a biblical character for ourselves and be called like that for the rest of the day. I picked Satan XD. She was maaaaaaaaad.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:44 pm 
Veteran

I like villainous characters because you seem to be able to relate to them more. Villainous characters seem to have more human qualities.

I think this is also the reason Marvel comic book heroes work. Even though, they save others, they have faults and conflict.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:54 pm 
Novice

The Hero is able to control or learns to control his/her emotions. Their ability to suppress them and overcome challenging obstacles, both mentally and physically, is what allows them to be a hero. The Villain is more subjective to his emotions and lets them get out of control. So, yes InsanityProd, you are correct. We as normal people relate to villains more because they closely resemble an actual human-being. BUT, let's not leave out the anti-hero. The one that fights for good like the hero, but is subjective to emotions like the villain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 am 
Intermediate

All very good views so far (Except from you, Celes. You're just silly ;P).

The "Anti-Hero" is certainly my favorite type of character and, in itself as a driving force behind most character traits and development, so is tragedy (just look at my story, after all XD). Internal conflict between emotions, morality, and humanity make for a very deep character, whether it's a villain or a hero (or anti-hero) and, because of which, normally make for more interesting stories that lead into the character's purpose within the relevant plot and story progression.

A hero however can still remain a strong character is driven by the same madness as a villain is. After all, the ideals of "Good" and "Evil" are merely lines of perspective from which defines the reader/viewer's opinions on the matter. If the character has been raised and taught to believe what they know as right and are willing to die for the cause, what is "Good" and "Evil" beyond that? Even the simple ideas of "Saving the Earth" or "Destroying the Earth" can be made more epic with the right background and movitation behind the driving characters, but ultimate goals that are more diverse from that, such as redemption, faith, and madness, can be stronger still.

Ultimately (to me), villains are also more enjoyable as characters in general, even when not within the serious appearance. They normally embody characteristics, designs, and traits that I merely appeal to over that of the hero due to the pure nature of which is driven from by these elements. An example: Look at Bowser vs Ganondorf. One is clearly more serious than the other, but both still derive traits that I would prefer from over Mario of Link (the heroes). I could delve into more details upon their qualities right now, but I won't. I gotta wrap up this post before work gets going.

In that, there's a little light on my general views. I'll try and contribute more later on.
Please, continue posting. I'd love to hear/see more from all of you. :)

Remember:
THAT'S LORD GAVIN TO YOU!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:41 pm 
Intermediate

One of the ways I see it is that in a divided good/evil setup, the hero must be a hero in the eyes of everyone. However, the villain doesn't have to be evil, just has to oppose the protagonist. This means that the hero is incredibly restricted in action to what is socially acceptable, while the villain can do all manner of good, bad, or fun things without fear of repercussion (Apart from the final showdown, of course). This often makes the villain a more interesting character.

Certainly, there are some villains that are eternally despised (Umbridge, from Harry Potter comes to mind), but there are many villains that are just straight up awesome. Organization XIII (Except Larxene), although some fall in the category of anti-hero, contains numerous villains that are hard to dislike.

Speaking of anti-heroes
The reason they are so popular as a character type is because they aren't necessarily as morally constrained as heroes, but you can still root for them because they aren't evil. There are no qualms about supporting an anti-hero, but no matter how cool Kefka is, he still kills a bajillion and a half people. In contrast, characters like Artemis Entreri (Specifically from the Sellswords trilogy) fills the anti-hero role that fans of Robert Salvatore have wanted because Drizz't is too much of a goody two-shoes.

tl;dr
Heroes are often constricted by moral constraints. Villains can be more interesting because they aren't. Anti-heroes are the most popular because they don't support the murder of babies, but they are still as interesting characters as many villains.

Every moment spent whining is forever a moment lost from doing something about it
Also, THO has lost the game. It's true

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:37 pm 
Role Player

Location: In my own secret place, hiding from the cold world.
Decided to post my views as well, even though others might have alike views and posted those. I think one of the reasons people might like villians, is because they simply don't pay attention to what others fight right or wrong, while most people do. Because of this, we hold a lot of things back, for example, punching someone in the face when they piss us off, or yelling at someone with a lot of people around. So, I think villians can be liked because they embody the parts of ourselves that we don't show. This might as well be the reason for someone to DISLIKE villians, if they can't let those things out, then why are the villians able to? It's simply not fair, it's wrong. Villians tend to have a bit of a tragic background as well, which might make people feel sorry for them. A hero might be liked for the fact he remains strong throughout the whole story, people might admire a hero for that. Although, people might dislike a hero for this as well if it isn't played out right, if he's simply too perfect. As for my favourite, the anti-hero, they are often characters we can relate most to. They are far from perfect, and might make more/worse mistakes than a hero, but, like Plastic said, won't murder babies.

Image <-Thanks ML!

Life SUCKS,
but death sucks even MORE.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:20 pm 
Newcomer

I love a good evil villan. They keep everythig interesting to watch and if it were a show with just super hero's it would just be boring. The good ol villan makes a programme, movie, book or whatever. Villians are normally the ones I hate to see die because they are the most epic characters of all. Per example, The Darkness ;) Epic super evil villan thing and then turns good. MIND BLOWN