So, some more quick thoughts about the episode.
The Darkness is suddenly having second thoughts about taking over the world. Ok... I mean, he hasn't shown any other time of him leading towards that, but I suppose self reflection kind of counts... I guess.
Yeah, the Waluigi thing is really getting old now. I don't know if there is another one in 74, but i beg you, no more. It's not funny anymore.
Oh hey, Gangles and Zubashi standing around, goofing off, instead of either training ninjas or reporting back to Decious. Sigh... well at least they quickly corrected that.
Yeah, I'm not buying DK and Yoshi possibly dieing. It's way to obvious everyone is going to get magically better and everyone who left will come back for the final battle. It's just seems way to obvious.
Oh... Merlin is just communicating to Mario in his head. I guess that makes sense. So... is he alive? Where is he?
I see what you're getting at with coming up with an explanation for Mario wielding the master sword, with the whole improving the spirit thing, but I get the feeling that fans aren't going to be too pleased about that...
Bye Brock and Gary, the plot doesn't need you here anymore. We'll see you during the great heroes magically returning scene!
I'm not sure what Decious is waiting for. Are you waiting for the plot to catch up, or was this an excuse to have Zubashi and Gangles throw in a quick joke about wanting to go to Taco Bell. It would be nice to know what he's waiting for. After all, he did say to Zubashi a few episodes ago, after he said he was waiting for the right moment, that that's not good enough.
Hey! Ryu and Ken's scenes went... absolutely no where. It just had them wait around until the episode before the big battle so they could get knocked out for dramatic purposes so we could think they won't be around for the great hero return. This is why I wished the plot point brought up in the end of season 4 was used. An ambush after that would have made it much more dramatic when they got defeated, and you still could have used the same gags. I just don't care that they were defeated, since I haven't cared about their goof off scenes.
Yeah, I figured Ganon would know what Decious was up to. Seemed way too obvious. Although, if he doesn't know Merlin is helping Mario's spirit get stronger, I'll be shocked. Although, then again, I didn't see that coming either...
I am excited for the Bowser and Luigi fight. I loved their last fight, and Austin has done a great job as Bowser this season. This seems to me to be the only battle I'm truly excited for at the moment, since I'm disappointed with Decious and his crew/the Darkness's battle prep, and Mario's plot has disappointed me as well.
Episode 72 is still the strongest episode this season. This one was ok. I like your videos Rich, I really do, but there's a lot of issues that plague this season (with the exception being the first 5 episodes, which I thought were handled well.)
I'll give it a 2.5/5.
At this point i'm really just trying to wrap up the series the way I think it should end. I've had a pretty good idea since the end of season 1 of where I wanted things to go, and ive been using those ideas. I think that if i could have made this season 10 episodes long, we could have had a really good, action packed, and suspenseful season. But i know everyone really wanted 15 episodes, so yes I added a bit of fluff, because my ideas were perfect, i didn't want to add anything so i just added some humor instead. the first 4 episodes this season represent about half of my ideas, the last episode represents the last half, and almost everything in between represents me trying to fill in the blank. I've done a pretty good job over the years of listening to fans, but for the last season I had a lot of my own ideas.
No, i don't care if i'm faithful or canon to Mario or zelda, since i never promised anyone i would be, and Nintendo certainly doesn't include my stuff in there canon. It's not like i've been paid by a hollywood studio to adapt these games as best as i could. This is just me taking these characters and making a new story with all of them. So what if Mario uses the master sword? These characters should have never met up in the first place. Stupid Mario brothers has become a separate entity that has its own attitude and its own storyline that has absolutely nothing to do with nintendo except that it was the original inspiration.
All I care about is ending the show the way it should end, and not let what happened or would happen in the games influence my version of the characters.
Chris might disagree with me, and he's welcome to as the producer, but that's just how i feel.
Also if you watch the season as a whole later on and not watch once a week, I doubt it will seem as draggy. Like I said before, i wrote it almost like a film, it really should be watched altogether. Maybe i'll make an abridged movie version later on that cuts out some of the un-needed stuff.
Anyway, now that i've properly defended the show, i'll say that i'll be glad to just move on to skits, interactives, and music videos. partially because there will be no expectations, and i can just do what i want without getting slammed for it. I loved making SMB, but i hated that everyone wanted it to be something it isn't, but whatever, I'll move on. I'll start by answering THO's comments directly.
1. After using so much power to restore himself (Transfering to a hat and then the power transer) The darkness CAN be killed. He knows it, and so should any keen audience member. He has done a lot of thinking waiting in the last 2 days (The time between 64 and 73). Ever since the movie it has been known that he wants Decious dead. That's all that really matters to him. He doesn't even know what his existence means, but perhapps he can find soloce in killing decious.
2. We got to film with doug for a total of 2 days in december, he goes to school and works full time in Oregon. So when he visits it's brief. We filmed his fight scene with blair on one day and his coma scenes on the second. Since his battle with blaire was pretty epic i'd say that's a pretty good close for his character. I'm just saying, i could cut out the rest of the coma scenes, but then its no more waluigi. I'll let you think about that.
3. As for Zubashi's first scene, I just wanted to wrap up what happened with the girls.
4. Dk and Yoshi are down for the count. I'm not saying that they'll live or die, i'm just saying they are done. I don't know what your expecting in the end, but there isn't going to be a big hero's vs villains fight, that was already in episode 64. I put it at the begining of the season so that the fights at the end could be more personal and emotional.
5. Merlin doesn't want to scare Mario with the past. But trust me we will know what happened to Merlin in the last episode when we have flashbacks galore!
6. As I said before, your going to have to get used to the idea that this show is "Inpsired By" Nintendo, and not "Adapted from" Nintendo. The fact that only Link can use the sword in Zelda games is irrelevant in this show. But I can promise that there is going to be much more than just "Improving the spirit".
7. We will see Brock and Gary again, but there's no hero's magically returning scene.
8. It's very simple, Decious was waiting for enough of the oposing force to dwindle down. Now that most of the hero's are down, its almost time. He can attack the darkness and his pirates without much help from luigi's group.
9. I'll admit now that i wish i had included the "Tamari" character to be used in Ken and Ryu's plot. In reflection i think it would have done more good than harm. But still, they were finally getting along after putting the past behind them, they were caught off guard by the newly trained ninja squad, and now there defeated. So ends there arc. They won't be coming back for the big hero's return because the big hero's return doesn't exsist.
10. As he said in a previous episode, Ganon fully expects Mario to fail at getting the sword and beg ganon to stop the fighting, in which Ganon will reply by killing him. Ganon did not predict that merlin would be able to communicate to Mario, and you'll see why come 75.
11. The Luigi vs Bowser fight will indeed be awesome. But don't be so sure about the other guys, The Darkness vs Decious fight I think is the coolest fight we've ever done, and it is by far the most personal, since the darkness was trapped inside decious for thousands of years, and despises him completly, Decious knows how much of a threat the darkness is, since he created him to be the strongest thing in exsistence. Trust me it will be glorious.
12. It's hard for me to believe you actually like my videos when you constantly put down anything that came out of my own mind and not from nintendo's stock of cliched plot devices. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt seeing as you've been a loyal follower for years. But it does hurt my feelings that people can't look past what they expect from a "Game" and see an "Original Show" that is "Inspired by games" and goes it's own way as far as character and plot development and doesn't constrain itself to the limitations of those games.
I'm quite used to my "Never satisfied" audience, it has made thing rather stressful, so i decided not to care this season and just do what i wanted. Chris and I Like where the show has gone and we hope in the end you'll see that for yourself.
Otherwise SMB will just go down as that show you used to like that you feel didn't end well. I really don't care if you don't like what i've done or not, i'm very satisfied with the ending. The good news is that its almost over, and you won't have to worry about whether i'm ruining your memories of video game playing or not. For those of you open to originally and going outside the box, thank you for not complaining about petty things like who rightfully gets to hold a sword, or what brock and Gary are actually like, or why there's humor in show with "Stupid" right in the title.
I could go on all day, but i'm pissed so i'm gonna go outside to let off some steam, then maybe i'll think about whether or not I even want to finish editing episode 74.