The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Re: Stupid Mario Brothers - Episode 73
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:44 pm 
Intermediate

Richalvarez wrote:
Hey Gavin, While I appreciate your constructive criticism, i'm confused on a couple things. The video quality this season has gone up, we are finally producing episodes in 1080p and using vinettes and filters to stylelise them. Perhaps we've used a style you just don't like. But it is the same camera, so the base quality should still be at least the same as its been since season 3. The waluigi and nox fireballs were not done by me, they were done by my new visual effects person who is also responsible for the vinettes, filters and the new book ends. the only effect i have been doing myself is light sabers. As for the audio, your right, it sucks, it squeeks and pops and sometimes echos. Its because my camera is almost 5 years old, and the built in speaker is almost dead. I just bought a new external mic, so new videos will sound great, but sadly season 5 was filmed before i got it. My only real regret this season is the sound, i love everything about the season. And no the movie was never intended to be the end, but i didn't exactly know where to go after it. The darkness becoming a good guy is something i've wanted to do since i created him. I never exactly say why he had this change of heart, but i think of him as sort of realizing how pointless ruling the world would actually be. He's a complex character, He got less "Crazy" as time went on, and i had been toning don his voice according. That's all lol

My god, a reply.

Indeed, apologies for my post being confusing. It was long and I made it during some of my off-time at work, so i didn't get a moment much to look it over. Yeah, the video quality is fine, for the most part. I've noticed the filters you've been using on some of the shots and (though I question it in minor cases) i have nothing against those. Very rarely (unless I'm mistaken) have I ever noticed any low-res shots (probably in nature to any of the indoor/dark shots used in the episodes, but cameras normally don't adjust well to darkness and can become pixelated. This is experience I know well of). The sound, yes, I'm glad you share with me. I haven't the slightest idea why it would have dropped so bad otherwise, but it's simply a shame. My own camera both goes up in quality and down (depending on the lighting), but it's speaker/mic has always never really worked. It's sensitive enough to pick up any white noise in the background, yet not sensitive enough to focus on the sounds in front of it, also creating some echo in its minor pick ups. For that, I share your pain. -_-

So someone else has been doing most of the video effects for you? Ah, now that makes sense. They never appeared like the sort of thing you would have done yourself (or normally gone for otherwise). Whatever, but I'm honestly curious as to how/if I would've done things for you, in that regard. I donno, but if there's anyway I could get some raw/unedited footage (effects wise), I'd love to give it a shot, if not to at least see for myself if I could really do anything better. Perhaps you would be interested in this too, I don't know, but if the chance ever floats my way, I'd give it a shot, if not for the heck of it.

Spoiler:
If you'd like to be nice enough to lemme have my fun, I could enjoy a snippet from act 2 part 3 from after 6:36 - 7:20. I've always witheld ideas on how that scene could have looked in a spectacular way. Again, your call if you wanna let me have my fun.

And yeah, concerning the Darkness' character, like I said, I'm just part of the mob that's against his changes. However, I'm much for the idea of "Dark Heroes" or "Conflicted" Characters (I find them much more detailed and interesting). I myself am re-writing a story I've been working on for over a year now and have re-done the main protagonist (who is also the antagonist. Trippy, i know) as to continually add depth within his struggles to maintain holds of his humanity, amidst his failing attempts to pull himself away from prophecy and his past's intents for him. I can relate that you would want the Darkness to become a good guy, but only cause you've kept him in the story (otherwise, him dying as a villain would've been fine). Just hope you've played your cards right and that his show of change comes within both a good sense of character/substance/conflict, so that it appears as natural and interesting for the viewer to perceive. After all, he's a major fan favorite. He deserves the attention into such a character change as the viewers naturally look at him whenever he's in a shot.

Beyond that, I'm sure my previous post appeared as much of a rant and THO's might have been. Still, I'm glad to know you took from it what you could without distaste and I hope what I've said here helps flush out the confusions with it. Thanks for the reply, and I hope you find this one as well, in time.

Remember:
THAT'S LORD GAVIN TO YOU!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:38 pm 
Creator

LordGavin wrote:
Richalvarez wrote:
Hey Gavin, While I appreciate your constructive criticism, i'm confused on a couple things. The video quality this season has gone up, we are finally producing episodes in 1080p and using vinettes and filters to stylelise them. Perhaps we've used a style you just don't like. But it is the same camera, so the base quality should still be at least the same as its been since season 3. The waluigi and nox fireballs were not done by me, they were done by my new visual effects person who is also responsible for the vinettes, filters and the new book ends. the only effect i have been doing myself is light sabers. As for the audio, your right, it sucks, it squeeks and pops and sometimes echos. Its because my camera is almost 5 years old, and the built in speaker is almost dead. I just bought a new external mic, so new videos will sound great, but sadly season 5 was filmed before i got it. My only real regret this season is the sound, i love everything about the season. And no the movie was never intended to be the end, but i didn't exactly know where to go after it. The darkness becoming a good guy is something i've wanted to do since i created him. I never exactly say why he had this change of heart, but i think of him as sort of realizing how pointless ruling the world would actually be. He's a complex character, He got less "Crazy" as time went on, and i had been toning don his voice according. That's all lol

My god, a reply.

Indeed, apologies for my post being confusing. It was long and I made it during some of my off-time at work, so i didn't get a moment much to look it over. Yeah, the video quality is fine, for the most part. I've noticed the filters you've been using on some of the shots and (though I question it in minor cases) i have nothing against those. Very rarely (unless I'm mistaken) have I ever noticed any low-res shots (probably in nature to any of the indoor/dark shots used in the episodes, but cameras normally don't adjust well to darkness and can become pixelated. This is experience I know well of). The sound, yes, I'm glad you share with me. I haven't the slightest idea why it would have dropped so bad otherwise, but it's simply a shame. My own camera both goes up in quality and down (depending on the lighting), but it's speaker/mic has always never really worked. It's sensitive enough to pick up any white noise in the background, yet not sensitive enough to focus on the sounds in front of it, also creating some echo in its minor pick ups. For that, I share your pain. -_-

So someone else has been doing most of the video effects for you? Ah, now that makes sense. They never appeared like the sort of thing you would have done yourself (or normally gone for otherwise). Whatever, but I'm honestly curious as to how/if I would've done things for you, in that regard. I donno, but if there's anyway I could get some raw/unedited footage (effects wise), I'd love to give it a shot, if not to at least see for myself if I could really do anything better. Perhaps you would be interested in this too, I don't know, but if the chance ever floats my way, I'd give it a shot, if not for the heck of it.

Spoiler:
If you'd like to be nice enough to lemme have my fun, I could enjoy a snippet from act 2 part 3 from after 6:36 - 7:20. I've always witheld ideas on how that scene could have looked in a spectacular way. Again, your call if you wanna let me have my fun.

And yeah, concerning the Darkness' character, like I said, I'm just part of the mob that's against his changes. However, I'm much for the idea of "Dark Heroes" or "Conflicted" Characters (I find them much more detailed and interesting). I myself am re-writing a story I've been working on for over a year now and have re-done the main protagonist (who is also the antagonist. Trippy, i know) as to continually add depth within his struggles to maintain holds of his humanity, amidst his failing attempts to pull himself away from prophecy and his past's intents for him. I can relate that you would want the Darkness to become a good guy, but only cause you've kept him in the story (otherwise, him dying as a villain would've been fine). Just hope you've played your cards right and that his show of change comes within both a good sense of character/substance/conflict, so that it appears as natural and interesting for the viewer to perceive. After all, he's a major fan favorite. He deserves the attention into such a character change as the viewers naturally look at him whenever he's in a shot.

Beyond that, I'm sure my previous post appeared as much of a rant and THO's might have been. Still, I'm glad to know you took from it what you could without distaste and I hope what I've said here helps flush out the confusions with it. Thanks for the reply, and I hope you find this one as well, in time.

Perhaps if i ever recover my data from the movie i'll give you something.

This was the fastest we ever made a season. It was filmed within a 3 week period, since that was the only time we had everyone together. So some things got rushed more than i'd like to admit. Looking back i wish i had written more scenes with the darkness. I guess i just wanted the main focus to be Mario's quest. But i definitely think fans of the darkness and nox decious won't be disapointed in 75.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:47 pm 
Intermediate

Richalvarez wrote:

This was the fastest we ever made a season. It was filmed within a 3 week period, since that was the only time we had everyone together. So some things got rushed more than i'd like to admit. Looking back i wish i had written more scenes with the darkness. I guess i just wanted the main focus to be Mario's quest. But i definitely think fans of the darkness and nox decious won't be disapointed in 75.

Actually, call me REALLY bored today, but since I was and had the moment, I downloaded the section off a YouTube downloader site and gave it a go. Now, do I think what I've done to this short segment is either practical or perfect? No, I only spent about 3-4 hours on this (probably could do it faster now that I know exactly what I'm doing to achieve these effects). I tried adding even more (such as particles), but that would only have taken more time than I had today for this, but I can still do such and further improve/add to the shot. Otherwise, this is is merely a technical show for you of what I could do to up things a bit, with my own skills. I can do everything here and do lightning, masking (as seen), green-screen, beams/lasers (as seen), filters (as seen), fire, explosions, and other such enhancements (if there are any others to consider).

Hope you see this. Let me know what you think and such.

Remember:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:04 am 
Novice

Pardon my French, but... Holy Sh*t that was cool. It only took you 3 hours! I have to say sir, you are quite talented.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:05 am 
Freelancer

That's pretty good. The red eyes made him look so EVIL.

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:06 pm 
Veteran

Shadow Mario gave me the chills in that. I like it. ^_^

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 pm 
Creator

LordGavin wrote:
Richalvarez wrote:

Actually, call me REALLY bored today, but since I was and had the moment, I downloaded the section off a YouTube downloader site and gave it a go. Now, do I think what I've done to this short segment is either practical or perfect? No, I only spent about 3-4 hours on this (probably could do it faster now that I know exactly what I'm doing to achieve these effects). I tried adding even more (such as particles), but that would only have taken more time than I had today for this, but I can still do such and further improve/add to the shot. Otherwise, this is is merely a technical show for you of what I could do to up things a bit, with my own skills. I can do everything here and do lightning, masking (as seen), green-screen, beams/lasers (as seen), filters (as seen), fire, explosions, and other such enhancements (if there are any others to consider).

Super Sweet! I remember wanted to do an effect like that to his eyes, but never had time. I like how you chose to only have his eyes light up at certain points. It should only be when he's about to kill or when he's angry.

I really want to show this to chris. Do I smell an HD re-release with added effects? We'll see.
Hope you see this. Let me know what you think and such.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:54 pm 
Intermediate

Richalvarez wrote:
Super Sweet! I remember wanted to do an effect like that to his eyes, but never had time. I like how you chose to only have his eyes light up at certain points. It should only be when he's about to kill or when he's angry.

I really want to show this to chris. Do I smell an HD re-release with added effects? We'll see.

Thanks very much, Richie. If you ever chose to do that, for the heck of it, I'd love to; especially after my dropping out on the "Stupid Mario Bros: The Game" all those years ago (still got ideas for that, just no time at all for it right now [even with support] -w-').

Watch the forums over the next short while too, as I'll drop in a "Battle" scene I also touched on the other day involving some added effects (Effects I hand-made. Wasn't hard at all, only took me a half-hour to make it for compositing. You might like it a lot). I'll probably add it either into this topic or into whatever episode is out when I get it done and dusted for showcasing (Just keep in mind, it's all over your effects and such, so there's some things that'll look weird and some things that I'll simply be unable to control/adjust because of it. I'll note them when they come).

Beyond that, thanks for the enjoyment and... yeah. Until later. ;D

Remember: