The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Re: Stupid Mario Brothers - Episode 73
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:42 pm 
Novice

Richalvarez wrote:
I would like to apologize to THO. I was being too harsh on you. My anger was overkill because i had just read every complaint on youtube and expected to find praise on the forums and found your post.

I'm sensitive to criticism, everyone knows that. And the continuing criticism for season 5 has really been getting to me.

After we filmed season 5, I thought that i had just made the perfect season, that everyone would be unified in this thinking, and that for once people would say i was ready to move on as i had perfected the show and couldn't do anything more to it.

Perhaps I was naive? I don't know. I unleashed all my anger at you Hidden one, and that was way unfair of me. My anger was directed at all the trolls. Not saying you are a troll, since your complaints are backed up with facts.

I never thought people would find Zubashi and gangles to be a waste of time, I thought people would find them great additions and funny. I didn't think people would care that Mario is using the sword, as long as i included Hyrule, Ganon, and other Zelda lore.

Overall i think the season is good. But mostly I am sorry that I was a Jerk. Fans are allowed to speak their minds.

Thanks to everyone for their words of kindness.

I personally think you are ending it right. There is no way to satisfy everyone. 61-69 were well done. 70-73 have been a little on the dull side, but what tv show doesn't have those episodes (non-sweeps). The only complaint I have about Zubashi and Gangles is that so much time has been devoted to them (not that they are unfunny. they are funny) But since its the last season I'd just like to see more funny stuff involving the characters that have been around much longer.

One question: I feel as though the Chosen Two plot was kinda stepped on when Decious and Darkness returned from the dead (they are both my fav villains). Was this intentional as the prophecy was thought to have been fulfilled in the movie, but has actually yet to have been fulfilled? or was it undone when Ganon brought Decious back and Darkness brought himself back?

(I feel like it's the first one for Darkness and the second for Decious)

Anyways, ignore trolls, the suck. Can't wait for 74 and 75!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:20 pm 
Commentator

Richalvarez wrote:
I would like to apologize to THO. I was being too harsh on you. My anger was overkill because i had just read every complaint on youtube and expected to find praise on the forums and found your post.

I'm sensitive to criticism, everyone knows that. And the continuing criticism for season 5 has really been getting to me.

After we filmed season 5, I thought that i had just made the perfect season, that everyone would be unified in this thinking, and that for once people would say i was ready to move on as i had perfected the show and couldn't do anything more to it.

Perhaps I was naive? I don't know. I unleashed all my anger at you Hidden one, and that was way unfair of me. My anger was directed at all the trolls. Not saying you are a troll, since your complaints are backed up with facts.

I never thought people would find Zubashi and gangles to be a waste of time, I thought people would find them great additions and funny. I didn't think people would care that Mario is using the sword, as long as i included Hyrule, Ganon, and other Zelda lore.

Overall i think the season is good. But mostly I am sorry that I was a Jerk. Fans are allowed to speak their minds.

While I appreciate you saying this, I too must continue to apologize as well. I still believe I was way too harsh on you, and that's something I will not tolerate from myself. I was very upset before watching the video anyway because of stuff happening in real life, and some of that came in that post as well. So I do feel some of that anger was warranted.

I understand why you are upset with the criticism, and I don't blame you for feeling that way. No one likes to hear, after working so hard on something, that people don't like it. It's hard to please people, especially such a large and diverse group of people that watch your videos. So believe me, I get it. Heck, I too can be like that as well. It happens, don't worry about it.

I know how hard you are trying to please everyone. And that's great that you're trying so hard to give a product that will please everyone. But of course, at the end of the day, it's your show. If you're proud of it, that's great. You worked very hard on it, so it's understandable. You guys have also shown that you are willing to listen to criticism as well (at least the ones that aren't "this sucks" and lack backing up their argument. That's all that matters in my eyes.

Just so be clear, I don't hate Zubashi and Gangles. I still think a spin-off would be an interesting idea. While I do have my critiques, they are a nice addition to the show. As far as the Mario wielding the sword, I think that because you tried to make a good explanation for why he was wielding it, I don't have an issue with it. I've been thinking about what's been established before hand in previous episodes, and I think it's best for all of us fans to realize that the SMB world you've created isn't exactly the same as the video game world. And regardless, I do think some people are going overboard anyway, but that's the internet for you.

But listen, I don't think you're a jerk. If I thought you were a jerk, I wouldn't be watching the episodes or even coming onto the forum to write down what I think about it. You were frustrated for valid reasons, and I was out of it yesterday because of other stuff going on in my life. I am looking forward to the last two episodes, as well as all of the final battles. Hopefully we can just move past this and forget it happened.

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:06 pm 
Newcomer

Yeah, Richie. Don't feel bad or like a jerk. You're not a jerk. You're a delightful person and personally I enjoy how Stupid Mario Brothers is ending. I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I really don't care that Mario will be acquiring the Master Sword. After all that Mario's been through, he couldn't deserve the glorious legendary blade for just one fight.

I have one question regarding the blade though: do you discuss what happens to the Master Sword or Link after the Ganon fight? After all, Merlin said that the sword would forget Link. If he were to forget Link then Mario would be the only one onwards to be the wielder of the sword until Merlin creates another wizard ability to make it Link again.

I think that if you had a longer length for a Zubashi/Master Gangles scene that you could've had them do more throughout the story while they await Nox Decious' call for the fight. I think you should've put in a sleepwalking fight for Waluigi as well. He could've made his way to Ganondorf as he had planned, falling out of his bed, falling asleep, getting out of the house, falling asleep, walking to Ganon's base, falling asleep, almost there, asleep, in front of Ganon with his extraordinary purple fireball, falls asleep, wakes up one last time, and Ganon kills him. He would've been dead, but at least he would've had a somewhat funny ending.

Second question; will you be putting out a Stupid Mario Brothers soundtrack or will we be forced to find the songs you use ourselves? I would love to use the Season 5 music you've been using; I enjoy it a lot.

Third question; does the General have a backstory? We haven't heard much about him.

Final question; Will the Arthur series make a return? I was a big fan of it when you first uploaded them and I would especially love to see the full Merlin vs. Decious fight from way back when.

Random note; I don't know if you're aware or not, but I have alternate thumbnails posted on the RMA Productions Facebook page since you're using the same ones as Season 4.

That's all! (Also, just wanted to mention that I'm making a sequel to StMB. It's the very same one that I was vaguely discussing with you in '07. It's called Saving the Lands if anyone wants to check out on the same YouTube username as this account.)

As evil as The Darkness is, the end of its life really gets to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:31 pm 
Novice

Location: "I am everywhere and nowhere. I am all of you and none of you"
1996isover wrote:
Final question; Will the Arthur series make a return? I was a big fan of it when you first uploaded them and I would especially love to see the full Merlin vs. Decious fight from way back when.

I must also ask this question, but I only wish for the rest of the films to be made public.
bored-of-the-rings-part-5-t7579.html

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

I'll do my review earlier this week. dur dur dur convenience!

The Darkness plotting to kill Decious was a pretty cool scene. This is a fight I've been waiting for since it was hinted at in Episode 60. "I was robbed of my chance to kill him the first couple times." True, you could even say Act II Part 3 hinted at it.

I love the narcoleptic Waluigi gags, don't you dare get rid of them :-P

Zubashi and Gangles closure on their date issue was worth a laugh or two, even though 40% of Gangles screen time was him looking at the camera. I'm pretty much done complaining about them.

Poor Luigi, his whole plan is falling apart. Even though Mario never did much, you never really realized how good of a leader he was until he left. Ness and that Western border... I guess the West enhances his Psychic skills? It might not be the best idea to send... well your only remaining teammate besides the Darkness out alone. Let's wait and see.

I'll sum up the Merlin bit with some quotes. "I'm talking to you in your head. No one else can hear me." "Hey crazy, who you talking to?" XD "Even if you had the sword you are not strong enough to wield it." "Not strong enough." Clearly Merlin is using Jedi mind tricks. I enjoyed Merlin's bit of Incessant Terminology. Those two have a good dynamic for being the same person. Kudos, Richie. Then Mario tells the comedy relief to leave... which makes me wonder why he didn't do that a while back. ... I'm really curious as to how one gets to and from Hyrule. Then foul mouthed Julian pulling one of the few bleeps of the show. "I'm sick of this fantasy, wizard bull****" I would love for that to be followed with a "let's go catch some Psychic Pokemon!"

"It's not healthy to kill pirates on an empty stomach." It's not healthy to go to Taco Bell either...

The ninjas VS Street Fighters was handled really well in terms of continuity. While Ken and Ryu were having fun the Ninjas were training with Zubashi. So when it came time for the two to face each other, the trained ninjas handled the off-guard warriors with ease. "I'm.. still.. standing..." Poke. That's funny... wait a second...

Ganon certainly does have a plan. I know some people say he's grown cliche but I don't see it. He's diabolical, cruel, and collected. A sweet combination. Unlike other great antagonists (The Darkness) he will certainly die a villain instead of living long enough to see himself become a hero. (See what I did there?)

This wasn't a terrible episode, it was one of the better low action ones. A little step below last weeks but it fells like the perfect set up for 74 which I hope we get some action. I really don't want it to be another stare-down cliffhanger. 8.5/10 REVELooooo....

[I'll respond to some of the Richie THO stuff in a few posts]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 pm 
Veteran

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of things, especially in film. If you don't learn to take harsh criticism, you will be stuck in the same position for the rest of your life, never to improve. It's much like the other advice that I'd given about not letting your ego get the better of you. I love being harshly criticized, it makes me drive harder to get where I want to be.

I respect that you are taking your own direction with the Master Sword, but again I am a fan of the Zelda series and it upsets me a bit.

I feel like this episode needed a better variety of camera angles. It seemed a little static at times, where it needed a bit of switching. I'm not talking about pans or tilts, just switching it up.

I liked the whole Merlin being in his head thing.

I get the whole thing with Ken and Ryu, making fun of old Kung Fu movies (or dubbed anime). It just had a weird feel to it though.

Overall score: 6/10

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:51 am 
Novice

AdminAdam wrote:
Ganon certainly does have a plan. I know some people say he's grown cliche but I don't see it. He's diabolical, cruel, and collected. A sweet combination. Unlike other great antagonists (The Darkness) he will certainly die a villain instead of living long enough to see himself become a hero. (See what I did there?)

My problem with Ganondorf is that he's so powerful the only reason the heroes are a threat to him at all is because he uses his great power in incredibly stupid ways. Here you have a villain who's immune to everything except for a single weapon the heroes don't possess... Who can bring his minions back from the dead without limit or repercussions... Who sees all and knows all, who can tell that when his minions will fail or are plotting against him, and use that to his advantage... Or so we're told.

Ganon is, for all intents and purposes, invincible. But does he seek the heroes out personally and destroy them while they can't fight back? No, he does nothing and waits for Mario to find the weapon that can hurt him. He can bring his minions back from the dead? Awesome! Except he won't, since you've "displeased" him you don't get to come back, even though much like himself his army would be invincible if he just kept bringing them back from the dead. Something goes wrong for him? It's all according to plan. Apparently Ganondorf's plan involves getting some of his minions killed off and allowing the others to openly plot against him behind his back. Why he needs such a convoluted plan when he already has everything he needs to achieve victory is anyone's guess. That is where Stupid Mario Bros. Ganon falls short as a villain -The heroes are only a danger to him because he allows them to be.

That said, I do enjoy Matt's portrayal of him. He captures his smug arrogance well, and after the jokes that Decious and the Darkness have become, he's pretty much the only serious villain left in the series (Bowser has been comic relief since he was first introduced).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:13 am 
Freelancer

Sothe wrote:
About Ganon (post above)

Well Ganondorf was always like that in every Zelda game if you think about it. If he had the power to even resurrect, he never does, and he never stops Link from gaining the courage and the Master Sword that can kill him.
Sure Ganondorf can think of better plans, but it's the same with the games so there's a slight similarity there.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 am 
Novice

Nitsua94 wrote:
Sothe wrote:
About Ganon (post above)

Well Ganondorf was always like that in every Zelda game if you think about it. If he had the power to even resurrect, he never does, and he never stops Link from gaining the courage and the Master Sword that can kill him.
Sure Ganondorf can think of better plans, but it's the same with the games so there's a slight similarity there.

Except he doesn't, really. In most games, Ganondorf does regard Link as a threat but circumstances prevent him from doing anything about it. The only exception is OoT, and he had a reason for that.

In OoT, he let Link go after the third dungeon, but at the time he thought Link was just a regular boy who was helping Zelda. He lets Link go in hopes that he will open the Door of Time (which he does). He does it again after the Forest Temple, but only because he hopes Link will lead him to Zelda (which he does) and he even admits that may have been a mistake during his dialogue in Temple of Time.

In Wind Waker, he tries to kill Link twice, at each visit to the Forsaken Fortress. And he would have succeeded if not for the interventions of the King of Red Lions and Valoo, respectively. Afterward, he decides to wait until Link has assembled the Triforce of Courage to face him again (and when he does, he wins -Were it not for the King, he'd have gotten his wish).

In Link to the Past, Four Swords Adventures and Twilight Princess, Ganon is sealed away for most of the game and can't do anything about Link himself. Even still, he has Zant try to kill Link and Midna at Lanayru, Agahnim put a price on Link's head in hopes that he'd be arrested, and Shadow Link seems to make it his own personal mission to dispose of Link after tricking him in to freeing Vaati.

The original, well, maybe, but that game didn't have much of a plot beyond "Save Zelda!" to begin with.

LoZ Ganon's actions make sense, at least from his own perspective, if not from that of a viewer who knows how the game will end. He doesn't know that the Triforce will break apart when he touches it and empower Link and Zelda, or that by kidnapping Aryll he's creating the hero who eventually kills him. SMB Ganon is both aware of and fully capable of destroying all threats to him, yet he doesn't for no given reason (no, stating it's "part of the plan" doesn't count if we don't ever get to hear what that plan is -That's just trying to hand wave away the plot hole). That's the difference between the two.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:02 am 
Creator

35thpresident wrote:
Richalvarez wrote:

I personally think you are ending it right. There is no way to satisfy everyone. 61-69 were well done. 70-73 have been a little on the dull side, but what tv show doesn't have those episodes (non-sweeps). The only complaint I have about Zubashi and Gangles is that so much time has been devoted to them (not that they are unfunny. they are funny) But since its the last season I'd just like to see more funny stuff involving the characters that have been around much longer.

One question: I feel as though the Chosen Two plot was kinda stepped on when Decious and Darkness returned from the dead (they are both my fav villains). Was this intentional as the prophecy was thought to have been fulfilled in the movie, but has actually yet to have been fulfilled? or was it undone when Ganon brought Decious back and Darkness brought himself back?

(I feel like it's the first one for Darkness and the second for Decious)

Anyways, ignore trolls, the suck. Can't wait for 74 and 75!

Mario and wario already fulfilled prophecy. But sadly enemies were revived outside of fates hand. Merlin wasn't even aware of what was happening which is why he's in the position he's in. (Not saying what that position is).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:36 am 
Creator

Sothe wrote:
SMB Ganon is both aware of and fully capable of destroying all threats to him, yet he doesn't for no given reason (no, stating it's "part of the plan" doesn't count if we don't ever get to hear what that plan is -That's just trying to hand wave away the plot hole). That's the difference between the two.

How can it be a plot hole if you haven't seen the whole season to know if things get explained or resolved? Perhaps Ganon simply wants all the other hero's and villains to kill each other, leaving him as the only true force.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:39 pm 
Novice

If that's the case, I'm sorry for assuming otherwise. I am going off what we've seen so far.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:11 pm 
Role Player

Location: In my own secret place, hiding from the cold world.
Sothe... I think I can actually understand Ganon's actions in StMB a bit. (I mean, the only one who would know for sure would be Rich himself. XD) For example, why bring fallen minions who have failed you back? If they couldn't even defeat a hero, they can't be THAT much of a help. (Besides, just an idea, but maybe bringing someone back from the death isn't exactly like snapping your fingers? You'd have to ask Rich about that, but that's just an idea I have.) Why do the hard work yourself, if you can let your minions take care of the most of them? It's serve as a good test for the minions as well. And why overrush defeating the heroes by just barging in yourself? There isn't anything they can do to stop you anyway. (At least, that's what he thinks.) Plus what Rich said, of course. If he'd just let the other villians kill or get killed by the heroes, they'd clear most of the obstacles for him. Then again, like I said, only Rich can know this. Especially since we haven't seen the ending yet. These are just the ideas I have about him, at least at the moment.

Image <-Thanks ML!

Life SUCKS,
but death sucks even MORE.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm 
Intermediate

Not that I expect Richie to be reading this right now, especially after all the drama that erupted here, but I'll put in my two-cents worth while I can concerning the series:

To me, the StMBros series ended with the movie, where (honestly) I think it was intended to (or at least SHOULD have ended). Aside from the extra buffering of things added onto the second act due to people like Doug appearing for filming, the core of the original movie was very strong and had some very nice production value in filming/editor/writing. For that reason, on such a high note as it was, it was a very strong way to leave things to be.

Now, as it is with such a grand "ending" they had to bring it back, but that's not to say it wasn't a bad thing.

With OBS and Season 4, I was simply happy to see the series return. I didn't care about it as much as I had for the movie though (which I had gotten legitimately hyped for), but I was honestly surprised to see the return of the video quality and blooper videos (which really captured my interest). In that, I felt season 4 was the weakest of the seasons then, but looking back on it now (with it all out), it's certainly something of its own in comparison to the other season, much like how the moods were normally very "Funny" or "Serious" and not both. For that reason, and the none-linear plot (for the most part), it was both intriguing and enjoyable to watch, wondering what was happening, going to happen, and what was to come. For that, I believe it was still worth having been made, even though the movie was clearly stronger and series (to me) had passed by. Also, the ninjas were funnier in this season than in season 5, and a VERY nice touch for it.

Now, season 5... Not doing it for me.

Now, this might be because I'm working full-time and have lots of other distractions in my life, but honestly, I knew from the initial realization of Richie's limitations in editing/writing/casting/costuming that this was probably going to be his attempt at something "grand" and that it was going to fall flat. Given what he wanted and what he could actually do, that's all I had to make my judgement off of and (personally) I would have pulled him aside and said "Alright, lets focus on what's important first and ensure that's solid before we start throwing too much wood on the fire". In that, I'm unsure if I will be able to look back on season 5 as I have with 4 and say it's more enjoyable than I remember. For me, there's a lot of senselessness thrown into the mix of a trying-to-be serious plot while also retaining humour like is season 4. In that, it's not working out as well and, I will probably have to say, it's the weakest season by far.

Now, is it actually "bad" aside from being "weak"... At times, yeah, it's pretty painful. I can't get over Matt as Ganondorf (at first I thought it would be awesome and funny, then I looked at him, listened to him, and watched him, then realized how wrong I was. Also, you didn't need to try with the green skin [Heck, Bowser's human. Just have Matt look appealing, alright?] and his costume looks like a brown stuffed pillow with a black garbage bag cape. Considering how great costumes had been for, say the Darkness, I was pretty disappointed in it. Sorry if this comes off as hate; I'm sure you got reasons for it being that way), I can't get over Mona's sudden change in personality (Even if for comedic relief, she should have remained as a "lovable" girl she was before [cause she was different and FREAKING CUTE!], not adapted into the very serious character. That, and I hated her spiteful leaving just to give Wario the excuse to be angry again. It wasn't even that impacting to watch, just more like "Oh god, Richie's playing this card now..."), I can't get over the abundance of senseless characters that were getting too much screen-time (this is more of a personal thing. I'm just a fan of watching a small cast of flushed-out characters than I am watching a bunch of characters get brief moments of importance without and focus on who's best suited for focus at the time), and I can't get over how much Richie ruined the Darkness' personality (I'm sorry, but I'm part of a growing mob on that, Richie. He does look nicer [and I could have even dealt with the red hair change. Heck, look at my artwork of him with it, it looked great and I think it was a nice attempt to re-detail him. Sorry others didn't think so. Link: http://lordgavinmaclean.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48#/d3j8n7i], but he doesn't even SOUND like the same character anymore. There's only one thing that will change that for me and ONE THING ALONE: If the darkness, in having the spell used upon him to turn him human, actually has gained a sense of humanity. If you do anything to work along those lines, I'll forgive you, but that doesn't take away him having a personality that is still far weaker than his former).

Oh, one extra minor note: Richie, it might be me being in film and animation for a business, but I completely HATE some of the effects you're using (like the new Waluigi Fireball and Nox's Blast), the lack of overall video quality, and random sh*t audio quality that's in this season. I donno what happened, but why did the quality keep only going up all the way to season 4 and then, suddenly, take a nose-dive into sh*t for season 5? Did you lose a good camera and need to resort to a cheaper one? As well, concerning your visual effects, this may just be personal as, if I sat down for a little bit, I could probably do much better than you, but this is coming from someone in film and animation, remember. Again, sorry if all this sounds hateful; it's purely me noting for you some stuff that bugs me in terms of my interests as an animator.

Well, that's my rant. I'm trying my best to also show you the light of what you've done, Richie, and that your originality in basis off the Nintendo series is not hated upon. However, your technical ability to produce certain things can sometimes hold you back as well as your ability to write a script with some reasonable interest and solidity (I know it's hard, especially for a 15 episode series limit and taking into account other things, so I don't hold it against you. This is just observation). In that, I'm still your subscriber and, honestly, I'm waiting for you to finally put StMBros down and start doing what you've been (on the other hand with) very good with: Random videos. I have almost NOTHING against anything you do for the heck of it while not trying to make a story out of things. When you do this, I can't wait to see what you'll produce, knowing it will be more focused and directed for entertainment. Also, thanks for bringing back "Smashing Stuff", keep it alive.

Think I'll stop here. Love to know if you ever see this Richie and I hope it doesn't end up ruining your day, or something. I'm your fan and willing to support you all the way (and heck, I'd help if you needed it. Not like I couldn't, I got the skills for it. Ask ANYONE here that ;P). Take care, and I'll savor my final words for you until the season/series is finally over.

Gavin MacLean

Remember:
THAT'S LORD GAVIN TO YOU!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:44 am 
Creator

Hey Gavin, While I appreciate your constructive criticism, i'm confused on a couple things. The video quality this season has gone up, we are finally producing episodes in 1080p and using vinettes and filters to stylelise them. Perhaps we've used a style you just don't like. But it is the same camera, so the base quality should still be at least the same as its been since season 3. The waluigi and nox fireballs were not done by me, they were done by my new visual effects person who is also responsible for the vinettes, filters and the new book ends. the only effect i have been doing myself is light sabers. As for the audio, your right, it sucks, it squeeks and pops and sometimes echos. Its because my camera is almost 5 years old, and the built in speaker is almost dead. I just bought a new external mic, so new videos will sound great, but sadly season 5 was filmed before i got it. My only real regret this season is the sound, i love everything about the season. And no the movie was never intended to be the end, but i didn't exactly know where to go after it. The darkness becoming a good guy is something i've wanted to do since i created him. I never exactly say why he had this change of heart, but i think of him as sort of realizing how pointless ruling the world would actually be. He's a complex character, He got less "Crazy" as time went on, and i had been toning don his voice according. That's all lol