The first time I saw this, I was speechless. Then, all I could say was, HOLY CRAP! It totally blew me away!
Now Richie, you said you wanted to tie up all the loose ends in this episode, and you did, but you made more in the process. I will list them.
1. The Darkness knew the beginning of what happened between Merlin and Nox Decious because Blaire overheard and told him, but he said that he left before the climax because he had to go meet up with Liquid. The Beacon hadn't been destroyed yet, so the Darkness wouldn't have known yet that he needed Blaire to form the Trifecta.
2. In Episode 46, Mario said that it had been about a year since they lost their powers, and in Episode 57, you said that Blaire first met Liquid 3 months earlier. So, how could he have gone to meet him right when Merlin confronted Decious?
3. The Darkness couldn't have known that Merlin would have Wario gather Mario and Luigi at the cave, and he just brought Snake with him to destroy the Beacon. Surely he wasn't planning to revive himself using only Ness's power?
4. Why didn't the Darkness just make Ness destroy the Beacon? Why did he have to trick Snake into doing it? Of course, my theory is that the shell of the Beacon is made up of positive energy (which is what he needed Blaire for, since the Darkness can't produce any) containing the power-draining essense within. This positive force would repel any destructive form of magic, so only a weapon that contained no magic (positive or negative) could damage it, like a bullet from Snake's gun.
5. If the Beacon drained their powers, then why did Snake pass out with the rest of them? Snake had no powers, so it shouldn't have done anything to him.
6. Why didn't they go into a coma like Waluigi did when they lost their powers?
7. Wario said that the Nether Saber would lose it's power if Merlin died since he created it, but the original Black Widow Blade still worked after Decious died.
Despite the plot holes, awesome episode, awesome season, and awesome new season teaser!
Stupid Mario Brothers FTW!
P.S. Will the Darkness ever start wearing his hat again?
#1 Sorry i didn't make this more clear. The darkness had already figured out BEFORE he even died that Mario would have to lose his powers and then get them back in order to regain physical form.
#2 Mario should have said 3 months, i'm afraid that's my bad because i was thinking it had almost been a year since we "filmed" blind storm, and i wasn't thinking about the "in show" timeline. Just pretend he said 3 months lol
#3 no, he knew, Merlin is a bit predictable when it comes to telling poeple what to do, The darkness knew that as soon as he created the beacon, Merlin would inevitably tell the heros to stop snake from destorying it.
#4 The beacon was designed so that only a non-magical person could tamper with it, this would ensure that merlin could not de-assemble it. Therefor only non-magical means could destroy it.
#5 it still temporarily drained him of his strength, without permanent damage, it would have happened to anyone, powers or not.
#6 Theres a big difference between sacrifice and force. Mario had his powers stripped from him, Waluigi willingly gave them up. The beacon was designed to strip your powers for you. But waluigi had to use all of his strength to spread his power over 4 people. The result is a longer term sleep then just the 6 days the heros spent unconscious in the cave. He'll wake up whenever Doug decides to come back and play the character again, hopefully this will happen by season 5 lol.
#7 The nether saber is attached to merlin's soul for the exact purpose of knowing whether or not he lives. The black widow blade was only attached to decious' magic, and the darkness is still his magic.
Thanks for clearing all that up! Also, your answer to 6 cleared up something else for me. Ever since Episode 54, I've been wondering how Waluigi had enough power to give all four of them their full powers back. Transfering power is like donating blood, and his spirit is like a heart. As he uses power, his spirit simply creates more of it to compensate. However, by transfering so much of his power at one time, his spirit's ability to regenerate his power weakened, like a heart would. Blood carries oxygen throughout the body, and as a muscle, the heart requires oxygen to function, and becomes weaker if a person loses a lot of blood at one time. The spirit's ability to produce power must be the same way. But, instead of the spirit just ceasing to function, it goes dormant while it recharges. Waluigi put incredible strain on himself transfering so much power, making him so weak mentally and physically, that he fell into a coma while he slowly regained his strength. And as for 7, I should have guessed that seeing as Merlin made the Nether Saber out of three separate objects for the purpose of keep it from falling into the wrong hands. The reason for it's power being connected to his life can be attributed to the same reason. He wanted to make sure that if anyone ever did re-assemble the Nether Saber, it would only have power as long as he was around to stop whoever was using it in case they were evil. That also explains why he can remotely disable it. And, Merlin plays the role of a mentor and protector of the world, so he would want any good person using the saber to know if they could still rely on him.
Also, I forgot to ask these earlier. They're not so much plot holes as they are continuity questions.
8. Is the Ganondorf in SMB the one from the timeframe of Twilight Princess? I know they're all the same Ganondorf; I'm just wondering if that part of the Zelda story is where the SMB Ganondorf starts from. Ganondorf was killed in Twilight Princess, and earlier on in SMB Nox Decious revived him, so it would have had to have been in a timeframe where he was dead. Also, just before his death in that game, Ganondorf lost the Triforce of Power, and if he still had it when Decious revived him, Ganondorf would have been far more powerful than Decious was, so he wouldn't have been working for Decious. If this is true, my guess is that when Decious revived him, he somehow prevented Ganondorf from being able to reclaim the Triforce of Power, but when Decious was killed by Wario, whatever Decious did to stop him was dispelled, and so Ganondorf is the more powerful one and the one in charge this time.
9. How has Merlin lived for over a thousand years? Sure, I know how Nox Decious did it, but Merlin doesn't have a Truth Stone.
10. This one's a bit more personal, and as much I would like an answer, I won't be offended if you choose to ignore it. Was I right about why the Darkness needed Blaire's help to build the Beacon? The whole positive energy shell thing?
11. When you see yourself using fireballs and beam swords and force-enhanced sound effect punches in SMB, do you ever think, "Wow, I look cool!"?