The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Re: Stupid Mario Brothers - Episode 46
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:10 pm 
Commentator

Richalvarez wrote:
llfranc09 wrote:
I think people are honestly just trying to get back into things... it's been a LOT time since there's been episodes...

You do great stuff, Richie.

Thanks, I think i get what you mean. But also i think people are older now and their expectations have changed. This episode was actually produced, filmed, written, acted, and presented better than any previous episode (In my opinion). We had multiple locations, we've all improved as actors, the blocking has greatly improved (Movement while acting). The story isn't as one dimensional or obtusely complex. I spent much more time developing the physics of the fireballs, (Notice how in previous episode they just fly off screen, noe they more realistically hit something behind the target or simply fly off in the distance).

My point is, It's been a long time since the normal episodes, and i think people were younger and have over glorified them in their minds, it's called nostalgia. So no matter what, people will never like the new as much as the old. The best example of this is star wars, Everyone who saw the old ones first likes them better, but generally people who watch all 6 for he first time like all of them equally, i've tested this many times.

If i showed someone who had never seen an episode of SMB Episode 46, and then showed them 1 (Or pretty much any episode) they would probably say that 46 was a huge improvement.

That very insightful of you Richie and very well articulated! But don't despair over it. Some of us can see and really enjoy the improvements! I love your work and I'm continually impressed by your desire to do even better. I respect you as a filmmaker and I find your works very entertaining. (And if this wasn't typed it would be followed up by a hug.) :)

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:44 pm 
Newcomer

I didn't like the toilet humor. I was also confused about why the chocolates were gift wrapped. Otherwise GREAT! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:24 pm 
Fan Girl

Dude, overall, people didn't like ONE joke, and we think the episode was great. I don't get where you get that from, really. I was not a teen when I started watching the show and started in season one and still think this episode was amazing.

Even with star wars, I love all the episodes even when i grew up with the originals.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:59 pm 
Freelancer

I agree with both Richalvarez and Celes.
My theory is since we all have different point of views, our Wish List mixed Season 4 into a season of mixed feelings. The video has awesome ratings and it's only the beginning so don't let yourself down. We got 14 more episodes to go. We still have yet to see Waluigi, Brock, Gary, Ness, the poker players, and whoever Payne is. RIP Pauline.

We may love the old because of memories, but for a show like this, it's always good to bring something new in. If they want the old, they can look back whenever they want to.
I love all six Star Wars movies. I do like the originals better but it's still all together an awesome movie.

There's great improvement as you guys continued to do the series. Not because it gets higher quality by Season 3 but because the acting improves along with a good gang of cast members.

People don't like the toilet humor, not because they don't think it's funny, but because some don't find crude humor too humorous. Some of us are still virgins and it gets scary when we get older. That sounds weird? What I mean is some people find crude humor funny while others don't. I find it funny when it's done right.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:18 pm 
Commentator

I personly am no fan of toilet humor. I find it childish and imature. Hopefully there will be some witty humor to come.

Thanks ML!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:20 pm 
Landsman

AdminAdam wrote:
As for the ironic humor Pauline thing, I enjoyed it yet I thought it was an abrupt transition. You made a fine point to watch all Stupid Mario before this which includes Wario trying to kill everyone, characters attempting to take over the world, their souls possessing other people, chosen two, fate, characters dieing only to speak to others that die in the after life and revive them only to be revived themselves and all that deep stuff. Then all of a sudden right off the bat you introduce a character and kill them as a joke. Such comedy would be fine if it was eased into. Say you introduced and killed off Pauline in Ep 50 once the audience is used to the dark comedy. My diagnosis is that before the end of the episode people really cared for Pauline and were expecting a relationship development with Mario. It's not far from the joke "Hey Mario, where's Luigi?" "Oh! He died of cancer." You just don't do that.

I thought the opposite; it was really well done ironic humor because it was the first episode. It played off the fact that no one knew what to expect in the new season. When I saw Mario get real jealous of DK, I thought for sure StMB would turn into a dating series, and there's nothing wrong with that; I just would be to fond of having a great Nintendo humor show changed so abruptly. Then when it turns out Pauline was killed, I was releived that StMB would once again be the hilarious series that it always was.

The difference between Pauline dieing and your example is that 1) Pauline was meant to be a one-episode character. There wasn't much for her to do other than die. And 2) dieing of chocolate consumption is just so unexpected, it's ironically funny! Cancer, on the other hand, is simply to real and morbid to be a funny joke.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:38 pm 
Creator

Richsponge wrote:
AdminAdam wrote:
As for the ironic humor Pauline thing, I enjoyed it yet I thought it was an abrupt transition. You made a fine point to watch all Stupid Mario before this which includes Wario trying to kill everyone, characters attempting to take over the world, their souls possessing other people, chosen two, fate, characters dieing only to speak to others that die in the after life and revive them only to be revived themselves and all that deep stuff. Then all of a sudden right off the bat you introduce a character and kill them as a joke. Such comedy would be fine if it was eased into. Say you introduced and killed off Pauline in Ep 50 once the audience is used to the dark comedy. My diagnosis is that before the end of the episode people really cared for Pauline and were expecting a relationship development with Mario. It's not far from the joke "Hey Mario, where's Luigi?" "Oh! He died of cancer." You just don't do that.

I thought the opposite; it was really well done ironic humor because it was the first episode. It played off the fact that no one knew what to expect in the new season. When I saw Mario get real jealous of DK, I thought for sure StMB would turn into a dating series, and there's nothing wrong with that; I just would be to fond of having a great Nintendo humor show changed so abruptly. Then when it turns out Pauline was killed, I was releived that StMB would once again be the hilarious series that it always was.

The difference between Pauline dieing and your example is that 1) Pauline was meant to be a one-episode character. There wasn't much for her to do other than die. And 2) dieing of chocolate consumption is just so unexpected, it's ironically funny! Cancer, on the other hand, is simply to real and morbid to be a funny joke.

I agree, I think Adam thought too deeply on this one. Dieing from chocolates and cancer are two very different Things. And Luigi is obviously important, while pauline, who had only two scenes was not.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Richalvarez wrote:
Richsponge wrote:

I agree, I think Adam thought too deeply on this one. Dieing from chocolates and cancer are two very different Things. And Luigi is obviously important, while pauline, who had only two scenes was not.

I was taking the form of dark comedy for a joke to the extreme. Yes I know it's totally different, I was just using an over-example, but I made my point. Death is a fine line to walk because you could be funny with chocolate or morbid with cancer and still get the same result. I'm glad to hear that Pauline's death plays into the overall story and there IS an continuous story.

And also Richie, don't weigh the overall reaction to the season on the first episode. Honestly, I can't judge a season unless I saw the first ep, last ep, and everything in between. Season 3 started off as like my least favorite but slowly involved into one of my favs. My advice for the future: Don't stick to one style of comedy in an entire season because if the pilot doesn't make it's mark then you got 14 episodes left. Mix it up, experiment. Don't let some critique let you down, a lot of people enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 pm 
Commentator

I think Celes is right. Fans are fans and we dont just intend to leave you because of one bad joke. There was PLENTY of good stuff in this episode! I think after you explained a little bit of your intentions things made a little more sense. The ironic humor seems a little more funny after watching it for the 10th time :P I think it would be cool to see a little episode commentary from you and Chris sometime :) Then again...

"The Jokes not funny if you explain it Matt"

More likely its just not "as" funny because now the punchlines been ruined. Ah well just keep doing what you are doing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:58 pm 
Tyro

Celes wrote:
I didn't liked the toilet humor either, but besides that, this is the best episode I've seen in a very long time, since the days of S1. Keep it up!!

PS: I thought it's funny that many fans were exited 'bout Pauline and she dies, LOL.

My EXACT opionion. If you get rid of the toliet humor, best YouTube series ever. Even better than Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged and =3.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 am 
Fan Girl

Yes Richie, you have this VERY BAD tendency to take every negative feedback, however small, and make it bigger than Jupiter and never mind all the good comments you get from the fans. That's annoying. And yes, I made this post kinda negative because, otherwise, you may not notice it.

Get yer stuff together!
This vid had more praises than negative feedback, and even that it was just one point that we all agreed. So be a little more positive and thank the fans for praising yer work, ok?

In the end, all that matters is what you do next.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:50 pm 
Freelancer

I finally watched it today.

My opinion is it was GREAT. I actually minded the Toilet Humour. The SFX were better and the plot definitely got me interested.

10/10 FOXDIE Chocolates

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:34 am 
Newcomer

C'mon, Richie! The first couple of episodes of any season are always a rough start! :) Just go for whatever your ideas are and don't be too concerned about what everybody says...there will always be those few couple of people who will find something - however stupid and false it can be - to complain about. Those who do that are just called attention-grabbers. XD

The whole Pauline-dying joke was just an example of ironic humor - Mario tried to impress someone and ended up screwing himself over in the process. I thought it was a new and funny idea for SMB.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 am 
Newcomer

Yes nice opening richie, with mario screwed over after the death of pauline now he has to scramble how to get snake's money but its just 1 mess after another. Season 4 is off to a great start, keep it up (:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:46 am 
Newcomer

Maybe Donkey Kong represents Mario’s id or subconscious mind?

If that’s the case, could it be that Mario feels guilty about seeing Pauline, when he feels he should be seeing Peach?

Perhaps Mario is deeply ashamed about his cheating and how he interacted with Pauline, so he sees himself as an ugly, hairy ape?

Mario’s conscious ego mind (represented by Mario) could be in turmoil and watching the actions of his unconscious mind (Donkey Kong) from a distance.

Donkey Kong could represent a beast of dilemma. Donkey Kong could also be a mental demon brought on by the trauma of Pauline’s death. Maybe Mario feels guilty about accidently poisoning Pauline, so he feels that he is a monster. Maybe he sees his guilt, ape like clumsiness and
depression as DK in his mind’s eye?

Maybe DK represents Mario's gut instinct. Gut instinct because DK is always talking about bananas and food.

Maybe DK just represents the roomate from hell.

Maybe DK is like the Donkey headed Bottom in Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Nights Dream” and Pauline is like Titania?

Pauline and DK = Beauty and the Beast

I've noticed that this "King Kong" style pairing keeps appearing in mythology.

This was a fantastic episode. It gave me a lot to think about.