The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid Mario Brothers - Episode 46
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:22 am 
Commentator

Okay is it just me or just around the fart scene did it start raining? It sounded like static or something...but the ground looked wet so just wondering :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 am 
Novice

WhiteMage wrote:
Okay is it just me or just around the fart scene did it start raining? It sounded like static or something...but the ground looked wet so just wondering :)

I think it's what's left over from the fart sound effect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:29 am 
Creator

No it was Raining.

lol Maybe i'm just gross, but I think Fart And poop jokes are the best. Nothings funnier than Julian Pooping, that's really how he sounds on the toilet lol.

As far as Pauline goes, I probably shouldn't have showed her in the trailer, because i believe i created too much hype for her. She's just a one episode gag, and her death is meant to be ironic humor as seen in every episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". It's funny because it's unexpected, and no one care that she's dead because she was only in two scenes, why anyone is upset is a mystery to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:16 pm 
Novice

Haha indeed, we expected Pauline to be a regular character. And I have to say, she's pretty. xD I hope she will make another appearance sometime, lol.

I hope you don't use the toilet humor to much because I don't really like it that much. It's just funny for a few times but then it gets annoying. But that's my opinion. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:19 pm 
Commentator

Richalvarez wrote:
No it was Raining.

lol Maybe i'm just gross, but I think Fart And poop jokes are the best. Nothings funnier than Julian Pooping, that's really how he sounds on the toilet lol.

I think the problem is that the fart and poop jokes have been done so much by everyone that it has been done over and over again. People are getting tired of it, and would prefer to see new jokes.

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:14 pm 
Commentator

Apologies for the second post. But I think I now can make a good review of this episode after watching it again.

I'm going to say this episode was good. Was it a series favorite? No. Was it a terrible episode? No.

I'm just going to throw out the things I liked about the episode first, and then go into the critiques.

Pros:
- I do like the idea for the season plot. Having them try to get along through life without their powers. They can get along without it, because they've never really needed to use the powers unless a huge threat came along. But the idea that they don't have what makes them special, and that it's sitting in the back of their minds is brilliant.
- I did enjoy the humor... for the most part. I wouldn't say there were any bad jokes... but I'll get into that more in a minute.
- I do like having Liquid as the villain. It allows you to keep the season focused on comedy, but still give everyone a feeling that the villain could strike at anytime. It reminds me of season 2, which gave you flexibility to make comedy only episodes without having to worry about backlash. You know a villain is there, but you have to wait for him to make the move.
- The whole thing with the beacon. I'm glad we're finally making sense of it.

Now then, now that we got the pros out of the way, I'll get to my issues.

There were quite a few good jokes, however, what held the episode from being great was the fact that it had a lot of "predictable humor." I would consider the poop and farting jokes to be predictable. They've been used so much that at this point that every time we see them, instead of laughing, I think "Oh look... another poop/fart joke." It's been done so many times before, and it just comes off more as "Hey, we needed a joke, so we just had the character fart or have to poop."

Compare that to some of the other random, non-sensical things they did in the episode. "Hey, I just sold my mansion for a ton of flash drives!" It's less predictable, and you don't see it coming. Which leads me to the ending of the episode. I know many people complained about it, but my critique is a little different. I have no issue with her being killed. I love ironic humor and have no issue with it at all.

But the problem is it was very predictable. The "person takes food without realizing it's poisoned." gag has been done so many times before it's way too predictable. Maybe it's just because I've seen way too many of these shows with this kind of humor, but instead of laughing, I was more like "Yeah, I saw that coming."

You don't want your audience to be like "Ok, I know what's coming...". This doesn't work with comedy or drama. And in the end, it just made the ending feel like a typical sitcom ending.

But don't get me wrong, this was not a bad episode. It's just that with all of the predictable humor, it wasn't able to be a series favorite. But this season does have potential, with both plot and humor.

In the end, I give it a 7/10. It just felt average. But I think with all the potential the first episode showed, this can be a good season, and I for one am looking forward to the next episode.

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Richalvarez wrote:

As far as Pauline goes, I probably shouldn't have showed her in the trailer, because i believe i created too much hype for her. She's just a one episode gag, and her death is meant to be ironic humor as seen in every episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". It's funny because it's unexpected, and no one care that she's dead because she was only in two scenes, why anyone is upset is a mystery to me.

I find fart and poop jokes tolerable in moderation. Once an episode at the most but anymore just makes the viewer feel awkward. Like all jokes, timing is key. The problem I had with the fart/poop/diarrhea jokes made by Otacon, Kamek, Teri-Yaki-Son, Wario, and Snake is that they are all a few seconds too long. The thing with this is it CAN be fixed with editing. I always wondered why you didn't do that with episode 44. "Wow this has way too much fake blood." Why didn't you just have 3 scenes where blood oozes from Mario's mouth instead of 4? Same situation. Just take a few seconds off any future fart/poop/diarrhea and the fans can tolerate it and you can have your crude humor.

As for my reaction to the new episode, I thought it was alright. I knew the action sequence in the beginning was random and had no backing whatsoever but I thought it was very entertaining. You were fresh and comedic with the same fighting moves. Leaping over and sliding away from fireballs and all that. Plus I love the lightsaber- I mean beam sword joke.

As the episode progressed I enjoyed the "no explanation needed" excuse. Why did DK return from the jungle? Who cares. How is Liquid still alive? Who cares. Although for the latter I have a theory that the guy that Snake saw in Starbucks wasn't Liquid but was in fact Max Payne seeing as he's in the trailer played by Julian. I enjoyed the sprinkling of an overall plot in the background. "What if the beacon was really- oh crap diarrhea." is a great way of having the comedy delay the plot. I really hope there aren't too many throw away episodes that ignore this plot in its entirety.

As for the ironic humor Pauline thing, I enjoyed it yet I thought it was an abrupt transition. You made a fine point to watch all Stupid Mario before this which includes Wario trying to kill everyone, characters attempting to take over the world, their souls possessing other people, chosen two, fate, characters dieing only to speak to others that die in the after life and revive them only to be revived themselves and all that deep stuff. Then all of a sudden right off the bat you introduce a character and kill them as a joke. Such comedy would be fine if it was eased into. Say you introduced and killed off Pauline in Ep 50 once the audience is used to the dark comedy. My diagnosis is that before the end of the episode people really cared for Pauline and were expecting a relationship development with Mario. It's not far from the joke "Hey Mario, where's Luigi?" "Oh! He died of cancer." You just don't do that.

For the rest of the episode, everything was great. You were playing some fresh music tracks mixed in with some classics creating a good environment. We got to see a relationship unseen before: Wario and Luigi. I hope we get more new pairings in the future. In my opinion, this was Julian's best Snake yet. By now he's really got the character down pat. Matt always has a perfect way of taking even the most boring words and injecting them with hilarious enthusiasm. Chis once again pulls off an adorably charming Luigi and you Rich are never not spot on with Mario. A decent start (an eon times better than ep 31) but the season could go either way for me. 7.5/10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:05 pm 
Freelancer

I don't mind the fart joke but I could agree with everyone's opinion on the toilet humor. One fart joke that was pulled off perfectly was when Matt farted in the moment of silence in the Mother's Day YouTube News.
If the fart and poop jokes carry on, I say it could be a parody of poo land in Conker's Bad Fur Day. If the humor carries on in this Season, make sure it's pulled off right.
"IT'S LIKE THE SCREAMING SQUITS IT IS, I'M OUT OF HERE!"
But then again it could be parodying a show I don't know of.

I was slightly disappointed with Pauline's death (since I requested her,) but at least the episode ended with an epic reaction with music. Hopefully Mario shows some sort of emotion that he thinks he lead Pauline to her death. If she were to somehow be brought back, I think it will satisfy Nintendo if you didn't kill off any characters that are copyright by them. At least you brought Link back to life. But who knows if people prefer Team Peach or Team Pauline for Mario. Oh great, now let's not start that!

Overall the episode is well done. For those of you who not satisfied, remember that it's only the beginning of the Season. Even if the Finale of the Season becomes disappointing, just wait for the show to be continued. What I wonder is if they will be doing 15 episodes like the previous Seasons. Also depending on how this Season ends, we might get a Season 5!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:55 pm 
Fan Girl

I don't know but this episode showed me that this may be my favorite season. The acting has improoved amazingly, btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:33 am 
Freelancer

Personally, I never knew who Pauline was until everyone kept requesting her. I don't think she was an important character if she only made one appearance in a video game. But I can't wait for the next episode.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:11 am 
Newcomer

Great episode.

First I thought the beginning was fantastic brought back a lot of the famous moments of the series. I do agree with AdminAdam because at first both fart jokes were funny the snake one however seem to be way to long in my opinion. Other then that can't wait for the next episode. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:51 am 
Creator

Nitsua94 wrote:
I don't mind the fart joke but I could agree with everyone's opinion on the toilet humor. One fart joke that was pulled off perfectly was when Matt farted in the moment of silence in the Mother's Day YouTube News.
If the fart and poop jokes carry on, I say it could be a parody of poo land in Conker's Bad Fur Day. If the humor carries on in this Season, make sure it's pulled off right.

I was slightly disappointed with Pauline's death (since I requested her,) but at least the episode ended with an epic reaction with music. Hopefully Mario shows some sort of emotion that he thinks he lead Pauline to her death. If she were to somehow be brought back, I think it will satisfy Nintendo if you didn't kill off any characters that are copyright by them. At least you brought Link back to life. But who knows if people prefer Team Peach or Team Pauline for Mario. Oh great, now let's not start that!

Overall the episode is well done. For those of you who not satisfied, remember that it's only the beginning of the Season. Even if the Finale of the Season becomes disappointing, just wait for the show to be continued. What I wonder is if they will be doing 15 episodes like the previous Seasons. Also depending on how this Season ends, we might get a Season 5!

We have 15 episodes planed. But the reaction to this episode has somewhat shaken my confidence in doing a 5th season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:01 pm 
Landsman

I think people are honestly just trying to get back into things... it's been a LOT time since there's been episodes...

You do great stuff, Richie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:24 pm 
Middling

Location: Somewhere... known as.... *Before I say ask yourself do you really even care? No? Didn't think so.*
Richalvarez wrote:
Nitsua94 wrote:

We have 15 episodes planed. But the reaction to this episode has somewhat shaken my confidence in doing a 5th season.

Don't worry dude. Not everything you do is gonna be perfect. Nobody can do that. And as fans we give you feedback to tell what we liked and didn't so later on you can do even better. The episode was still amazing and this is only the beginning. so there was one to many fart jokes and not many people liked it, just use them in more of a moderation and bam it's all good. As long as you do what you think will go well from what you've seen I'll watch. one bad joke? Isn't gonna make everyone unsubscribe. Don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:36 pm 
Creator

llfranc09 wrote:
I think people are honestly just trying to get back into things... it's been a LOT time since there's been episodes...

You do great stuff, Richie.

Thanks, I think i get what you mean. But also i think people are older now and their expectations have changed. This episode was actually produced, filmed, written, acted, and presented better than any previous episode (In my opinion). We had multiple locations, we've all improved as actors, the blocking has greatly improved (Movement while acting). The story isn't as one dimensional or obtusely complex. I spent much more time developing the physics of the fireballs, (Notice how in previous episode they just fly off screen, noe they more realistically hit something behind the target or simply fly off in the distance).

My point is, It's been a long time since the normal episodes, and i think people were younger and have over glorified them in their minds, it's called nostalgia. So no matter what, people will never like the new as much as the old. The best example of this is star wars, Everyone who saw the old ones first likes them better, but generally people who watch all 6 for he first time like all of them equally, i've tested this many times.

If i showed someone who had never seen an episode of SMB Episode 46, and then showed them 1 (Or pretty much any episode) they would probably say that 46 was a huge improvement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next