The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: RMA's Top Favorite Characters
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:53 pm 
Creator

I was originally going to include this in the "Favorite character thread" But it got way too long and complex, and i decided that everyone should hear my thoughts, and not just people who just happened to see it by going to the last page. So here it is.

#1 Wario
I've known Matt since i was 16 (I'm 23). The dynamic he has created for Wario Transcends what i write for him on paper. He continues to amaze me with his diverse levels of acting, and i keep making more challenging things for him to do. Truly Matt has grown as an Actor, A Friend, and Person since i first met him when he was just some stupid kid that was in my sisters play lol

#2 Nox Decious
This one is more personal for me. Long before the "Stupid Mario" youtube Days. I created a little series known as "Arthur Vs. The Druids VS. The Grail" For Doug Orofino who needed a video for his english class. Chris Muller (You all know him) was also in this English class, and was so impressed by the video that he wanted to be in the sequel, so we made 2 more, and then a prequel, and then 2 more sequels lol Some of these i put on YT later, but not all. By the time we got to "Oops we broke the table" I really wanted Chris to play a villain, So Nox Decious was created to be Merlins evil brother. So when Nox decious is in "Stupid Mario" It takes me back to the old days, which is a good feeling. Oh and Chris does a great Job! lol

#3 Snake
What Can I say, I've been a huge metal gear fan since "Metal Gear" On The NES. And Julian Plays Solid Snake Spot on, As well as the British raised twin Liquid. I can't wait to continue too develop the character with Julian as Snake battles artificial Old Age, and other Issues that will test his humanity.

#4 Waluigi
Mr. Orofino was the first person I worked with out of all the people I currently work with. We both were in a community theater production of a christmas choral, and barely spoke during the entire rehersal and production time, (Yes I used to do a lot of stage plays, but i officially retired from stage acting 2 years ago to focus on films). a year later we both were in a production of "Grease" and this time we became better friends. Shortly afterwords the school year had started where I became the TA of his english class. Anyways none of that has to do with Waluigi lol, But Doug plays the character great, with an air of sophistication and just enough pompousness for me to love writing for the character lol.

#5 ASH
Yes that Ash. I know Things between Dane and Me are virtually non-existent right now. But I still loved him as Ash, and he was a Joy to work with, before things Got messed up, which is neither his fault or mine, or anyone's, just bad circumstances. Anyway, I remember Originally giving Dane the option of playing as either Ash or Ness, And he chose Ash because he loved pokemon. Good Times!

#6 Luigi
One of my favorite characters to write for. He is part Luigi from the games and Part Chris lol. After my experiences with the show, it's hard for me to see anyone besides Chris play Luigi. John Lugiziomo can shove it! lol. Luigi's always tons of fun because he basically represents the innocence of the group, while Mario represents the lazyness lol.

#7 UPS/FED EX
Based on a joke I used to make in high school about Rival Postal teams. These guys had their moments, and i love playing UPS. Still working on that UPS/FED EX interactive Journey, don't worry, we'll make it sometime before the end of the world lol.

#8 Brock
Do i even need an explanation? Brock is just Awesome, And Austin plays him flawlessly. He watched plenty of Pokemon when he was young lol.

#9 DK
Everyone and their mom has played DK, so it's hard to complement an actor here lol. But I will say that although I loved what Tim Runyan did with the character in season 1. The character didn't really go beyond being 2 demensional until Matt Provencal's interpretation in season 2, which is based on the ongoing derp, berp, brrr, dededede inside joke that matt and me have shared for years. In fact, we both do the voice so well that no one can tell when DK is played by Matt or ME lol. We also share other voices (Matt's Pac-man and My Icee the bear have the same voice), we are good at imitating each other.

#10 Blaire Vherestorm
I always wanted to name a character Blaire, and I finally got my chance this season lol. Blaire is basically what I originally wanted The darkness to be like, Calm and comanding, before i decided to go with lunacy. Matthew Howlett plays the character Brilliantly, taking what I wrote to a level it didn't see on paper. I love it when actors make my crappy dialog better by just the way they say it lol.

#11 Ness
No one can deny that what was once "We ran out of friends, so I guess chris' little brother can play Ness" became a huge success. Timmy started off a bit green (A rookie term) but he's owns that character now, and we have a lot of fun with the character now.

#12 Ryu
Christian was originally going to play Kid Icarus in season 2, but his schedule never matched ours. Much later i decided i really wanted to touch on my younger days of playing my super nintendo and "Super Street Fighter 2" And Christian just happened to be free now, so I thought "What the hell" lol. P.S. When i was a kid I always said "RI-Yu" hence the mis-pronouncement in the show.

#12 Ken
Eirc Porter Has been a friend of ours for a couple years now, and when Ryu was a definite character in season 4, it was only natural to introduce his best friend and rival Ken. I wanted to create a story where something happened in the past to antagonize Ken, and ruined the friendship between the two, and Eric was the perfect choice to play the vengence driven version of Ken, plus he was blonde so it worked out lol.

#13 Link
He should've been higher on this list but i kinda forgot about him since he's no-longer on the show lol. Kent and me go about as far back as Chris and I. Kent was not however my First choice to play Link, As is evident by someone else doing his voice in episode 15. I liked kent as a friend but didn't see him as an actor, so i went with my friend Alex. But by the time we filmed season 2, Alex was no longer available, So Chris suggested Kent, According to Chris, Kent was the closet thing to a Hyrulian that this world will ever see. After the very first scene we filmed with him, I knew chris was right. And Kent WAS Link. Again, I can't see anyone but Kent as Link now. Although Eric does play him on SNez Pez, But i consider him a different re-encarnation of the character.

#14 Coconut
I was Drunk when i came up with this concept, No joke. But what was originally meant as, "This will be funny for 2 episodes" Quicly became one of my favorite parts of season 3. Played by Kents hand and my voice, Coconut was a very complex character lol

#15 Mr L.
I loved Mr. L's Costume and really wanted to put him in the show. But i didn't want to incorporate "Super Paper Mario's" Storyline into the movie, So we made him be a version of Nox Decious. Again played deviously by Chris lol.

#16 Bowser
Basically, Josh was a great sport when the fireworks backfired and went in his eye lol. He played a great bowser and played him above my expectations, perfectly teemed with tim chang as Kamek which leads too..

#17 Kamek
Tim was interested in having a part on the show after working together with him on several other projects, including randumb prod videos. We decided that Kamek was a fitting role for him, And he was great as the character.

#18 Max Payne
Julian + Max Payne = Way better than that crappy film with marky mark that didn't even look like the game.

#17 Tommy vercetti
Austin based his accent on Al Pacinno, we couldn't stop laughing. Austin showed his versatility here.

#18 Peach
Jennifer was the only choice, she was originally suggested by Dane, and she was fantastic.

#18 Scott Masterson
When Scott asked me what his character would be called i was like "Uhhhh... Scott" lol. I based Masterson off of Scotts performance in the high school production of "How to succeed in buisness without really trying" where he played the angry boss. And I thought it would be funny if we just called him scott. Chris Originally Suggested Scott, it didn't take me long to agree lol

#19 Bob/Joe
Based on everything that is wrong with the business world. lol

#20 The Ninjas
What can I say..... I was watching a lot of Naruto when I wrote those guys in lol

Overall it is a joy to write for everyone, But none of this would be possible without Chris being responsible and getting people organized and on time, most of the time lol. He will truly be a great producer someday. Also Matt's on set sense of humor is always uplifting, to most of us lol. And Julian is always the consummate professional. I have great friends who put up with a craptastic Director (I really need to work on my skill lol).

I'm sure you all noticed that i didn't include, Mario, The Darkness, Or Merlin on this list. Basically I hate sounding braggy or snobbish, so I didn't want to put them on my favorites. SO instead I'll make a quick list of which characters I like "Playing" the most

#1 The Darkness
Well No $#!^ lol Basically I combine Lord Voldemort, Mark Hammels cartoon Joker, and My own inner insanity to create a character that i can only explain as my darkest depths of my soul. It is above all My favorite character to play, sense I get to let loose lol.

#2 Mario
Mario is always a chalanging character to play, As i struggle to keep the character true to the games while at the same time making him my own original version. My Mario is, Lazy, sarcastic, and hates being too serious. There is so much i would love to write about this character, but i'm afraid to go to deep (I almost wrote several episodes that took place before his very first trip to the Mushroom kingdom, where he was a normal teenager working part time at a plumbing company, and then Merlin opens the portal to the MK and gives him his hat) But after discussing it with Chris, we decided that is was too much backstory for a comedy show lol (Someday I'll make a serious and Epic Mario movie with a 100 million budget and include that story, minus merlin sense that's a STMB reference lol)

#3 Merlin
This is the "Young" Version of Merlin that we created for "Oops we broke the table". Very different from the "Nuts" version that i originally wrote for "Arthur VS the druids VS the grail" He's fun too play when i make him a little "coocky". But sometimes a drag when i use him a plot device lol.

Well that's it for my list. Thanks for everyones time lol.

Post subject: Re: RMA's Top Favorite Characters
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:11 pm 
Intermediate

It's always interesting to hear the honest opinion of a director and his thoughts behind his own work. I do the same sort of thing with my own, and knowing some of the thoughts in writing and design that goes into such a job/hobby, it's personally for me very entertaining to read through, understand, and relate to your words. What you've expressed for each character is a love for everything you've done in making this show that even transcends beyond that and into the people you've worked with. For that, you should be proud to have shared such bigheartedness for them.

Anyway, thanks for this. It was a wonderful read.
I look forward to your UPS/Fed Ex Interactive Adventure (never knew you had that planned, but sounds like it'll be a blast).

Take care.

Remember:
THAT'S LORD GAVIN TO YOU!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:05 pm 
Freelancer

Those actors were perfect for the characters that appeared in your show. It's awesome to hear (or technically read :lol: ) your top favorite characters of StMB.
I have watched Arthur Vs. The Druids VS. The Grail trilogy and you guys weren't bad at all. Although, I don't remember Nox Decious appearing in Arthur Vs. The Druids VS. The Grail. I think I remember you posted another King Arthur series and a scene where Merlin burns Nox Decious' face with his beam sword, I believe you set those on private. I'm sure people will be demanding to see some of your old films. Especially Nox Decious before the Mario Brothers' time.
It's interesting how your friends from high school were into acting, theatre, film making, or not into that at all, and they appear as great actors for the characters. Unfortunately for my friends and I, we can't do much because homework is an overload, (I'm 16. July 1994.) I still have yet to find my time that I can film and possible upload a video weekly and show I do have skills in film making. You and your friends definitely have more talent then I ever will. I sing like sh-, I'm okay with acting, and I sometimes over do stuff that makes the film not as worth it. Not to mention I did plagiarize small jokes from your show; like taking the idea of Coconut and using a talking wooden fish I made on my first year of high school. Except it mostly just an possessed wooden fish who rants against fishing and lives with a character who goes green.

Can't wait to see what more you have for the future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:03 pm 
Commentator

Wow! That is really awesome to read Richie. Mostly 'cause I like the chance to get inside your head a bit. You've got a lot going for you when it comes to your friends and the team who helps make the characters really come to life. (You don't know how lucky you are to have people willing to be a part of what you're doing. Seriously. Especially Chris as your producer. What I wouldn't give to have someone help me like that.)

Oh, and the bit about Coconut made me giggle.

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:10 am 
Fan Girl

I wanted to read something like this for a long time. It would be cool if you do like a "Behind the Videos" with RMA Prod.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:46 am 
Freelancer

That was really heartfelt Richie. I respect that you gave some time to give out these opinions. The coconut idea certainly made me laugh and The UPS/FedEx Interactive Adventure is now on my list "Stuff I can't wait for"

Otherwise I hope you continue to make videos and soon make it big in the world.

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:22 pm 
Landsman

That was really interesting and awesome to read.Thanks for posting this Richie! :D
Your list was very well thought out.
You have some great friends that are willing to help you out with the show.
Every single one of those people really bring their characters to life!
I really do hope you get to make a Mario movie with a huge budget! I would go see it for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:26 pm 
Middling

I dissagreed with some of the placings of characters but I agreed with almost all of it!!!!!!!! It was really cool to read how you guys met and all that stuff. I hope you get to making the UPS/Fed ex interactive adventure and PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (PLEASE) post oops we broke the table on youtube. I watched the Arthur trilogy and it was cool. I would really want to see Nox Decious before Stupid Mario Bros.

^Both brought to you by ML!^

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:05 am 
Commentator

YoshiFAn wrote:
I would really want to see Nox Decious before Stupid Mario Bros.

There was one video... but I don't see it now. I think it was either taken down or put on "unlisted" or something. It was a short clip that showed a brief fight between Nox Decious and Merlin and Merlin used his beam sword to burn/slash Decious' face. Hence the mask Decious wears. It was cool. I wish I could find it. :?

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:59 am 
Freelancer

Aisling wrote:
There was one video... but I don't see it now. I think it was either taken down or put on "unlisted" or something. It was a short clip that showed a brief fight between Nox Decious and Merlin and Merlin used his beam sword to burn/slash Decious' face. Hence the mask Decious wears. It was cool. I wish I could find it. :?

Yeah, I saw that video too. It became private. Same with King Arthur the Beginning (something called that) Part 1 and 2.
I'm sure fans will be demanding to see this whole thing as an origin story. But then again, most of the people following Richalvarez's videos are mostly looking for Stupid Mario videos or episodes. But if it has Merlin, Nox Decious, and other characters people can follow along with, then there should be no complaint for those who prefer Stupid Mario.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:45 am 
Landsman

I just want to say, foremost, that was great what you put about Ash. I'm glad to know you guys are respectful, despite whatever happened, because he was also one of my favs as well.

Now that I think about it, what sober person thinks a coconut would be a great character? XD It did work well, though.

I noticed no Yoshi.. hmm

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:02 pm 
Commentator

llfranc09 wrote:
I noticed no Yoshi.. hmm

Well, Yoshi is hardly a character! He doesn't talk. He barely does anything. Not much to writing him, I'm sure.

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:58 pm 
Landsman

Aisling wrote:
llfranc09 wrote:
I noticed no Yoshi.. hmm

Well, Yoshi is hardly a character! He doesn't talk. He barely does anything. Not much to writing him, I'm sure.

That's true. I guess I didn't think about that... but to be fair, he has more personality than some of the female characters the show has had.. IMO.

Which is why I hope they do more with Mona~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 am 
Newcomer

I'm surprised how low Luigi is, #16. I bet if Chris sees this, he's gonna be mad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:39 pm 
Commentator

I liked that you did this. One of the reasons I've loved watching your videos is because of the chemistry you and the guys have. You're an awesome group of people who not only have a great time doing what you do, but also put all that you can into making the best product ever. I have a lot of respect for people like you, which is why I've been here for as long as I have.

Your list is actually pretty close to mine, with a few that I would rank higher/lower (although that doesn't mean I hate those characters).

Oh and yes, PLEASE make the UPS/Fedex interactive short/show/ect. They're a wonderful mix of your smb characters/your comedic selves in the shorts/interactive adventures. I approve of more of them.

I also approve of more Bob and Joe.

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.