The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm 
Creator

TPKR Episode 2 is now Live!

Feedback, reviews, critiques and your general thoughts are all welcome! Enjoy!

The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10g_u4i7elc

PS: I've read through all of your posts on the Episode 1 thread, and I really enjoyed all of the feedback. Feels just like old times!

Post subject: Re: The Plumber Knight Returns - Episode 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:28 pm 
Storyteller

More set up in this episode. I dig it, worldbuilding was always my forte. I have to hand it to the Goomba that fought Mario on the ramp; his acting was spot on while being choked. Definitely got that "psycho underling" vibe to him. Plus his dedication was believable.

One thing i was a little surprised at was Mario's willingness to admit his identity. I know this is based on the Dark Knight, and Batman would never give up his identity as readily, IMO. However, this isn't Batman here, it's Mario so i can give credit to that.

Seeing Doug back is great, i love seeing all the old actors still working with you! Jackie did a good job, too!

And Mr. Muller. The Commissioner role couldn't have gone to a better candidate. I got used to seeing you clad in green, so when Luigi was pronounced dead last episode, i was worried when we'd see you! Your role might be my favorite so far.

All in all, loving the new scenery, getting out of the familiar house/field/woods backdrop is refreshing!

Can't wait till next week!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 pm 
Commentator

Alright then. Let's hope that this time I don't lose all my notes that I typed up while watching.
----------------------------
- Seriously. I will never get tired of those camera angles. Especially in this kind of production. Loved the shot of the baseball field.

- Quite a few new faces on the Richalvarez team, so my apologies for not knowing the names of some of the actors/actresses. Hopefully everyone can figure out who I'm talking about. Anyway, sports jacket guy is my favorite of the interview crew. But I saw what you did there with that fire pun and I'll give points to the actress for good delivery of that line.

- HUZZAH! DOUG IS BACK! And he's playing a doctor/psychologist character who is kind of like J Jonah Jameson, "I'm convinced you're the bad guy, and nothing you say will change that!" character! I love it! Who doesn't love the cynical a**hole?

- And Chris is playing the Jim Gordon character of the series... Lt. John. (Forgive me, it will take a little time for me to remember the official names of the characters. Forum Members, I give you permission to beat these names into my head so I don't forget in the future.) I like that some of the RMA crew are playing roles much different than everyone was used to them playing in SMB. I actually think Chris is perfect for this character.

- Once again, I love the thugs/Goombas on this show. I don't think I've seen one actor so far playing a thug that I thought didn't do a good job.

- Fight scenes are looking much better too. The amount of effort you guys put into stepping up all your production values from SMB days is really showing.

- And Jackie is playing the Vicky Vale character. I think her acting is good, and I do like the explanation for what led her to confirm Michael was Mario, as well as why she would try to search for who Mario was to begin with... But I'm not sure what made her suspicious enough to look into all of Michael's records in the first place. I mean, I can (somewhat... not completely) understand the way the similar Dark Knight Rises scene explained it. I mean for one thing, Bruce is a well known public figure, and if I remember correctly he made an impression as both Batman and Bruce (and then just follow the clues/money trail). Unless I missed something, (and feel free to correct if I did), Michael isn't well known in the city. So I'm not entirely sure what made her investigate the frail old man who isn't well known to begin with.

- Torture scene was good enough for me for this kind of series. Not too "dark" (although this could be for obvious production limitations), but also effective enough to say "Don't screw up again." Also happy Koopa didn't follow the cliche of "You failed me once. Die!"

- Nice cliffhanger to set up the meeting between Lt. John and Mario. I also like that, unlike some Batman adaptations I've seen, Mario and Lt. John will be on really good terms when meeting. (Bonus points if this isn't the first time they meet.)

-------------------------------------------

Episode 2 was pretty good. I think other than the question I had about the scene with Jackie's character (I'll remember the names at some point), the only other criticism I have is the pacing between one or two scenes (it is much less of a problem in this episode than last time though.) Things seemed to be going a little too quickly between the fight between Mario and Special Thug (whose name I can't remember at the moment...) and when Jackie's character arrived, as well as the scene or two after leading up to Koppa and the Thug talking. It's getting better though, and we're still 2 episodes into the season/series, so it's forgivable.

Also, I am very happy to see noticable differences in the types of characters being adapted from Batman stories into the "SMB/Plumber Knight" universe. Mario is still has a friendly side to him (and I liked the smile when he said he was going to meet with Lt. John. That alone made him feel unique.) Likewise, Jackie and Lt. John feel unique enough from the characters they were based on.

Also you got Doug back as the Cynical A**hole. That alone is worth a lot of points.

What else can I say? Bring on episode 3!

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

Last edited by TheHiddenOne on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:44 pm 
Co-Creator

Cap wrote:
And Mr. Muller. The Commissioner role couldn't have gone to a better candidate. I got used to seeing you clad in green, so when Luigi was pronounced dead last episode, i was worried when we'd see you! Your role might be my favorite so far.

Haha, awesome! Glad to hear I'm your favorite. =)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:50 pm 
Commentator

Really liked the new episode. Really liking Denise. Which probably means she's going to die...

Like I said in another thread, I really don't like that doctor...

And I also like the commissioner. Obviously based on Commissioner Gordon; but I can see a bit on Lestrade as well...

But I agree with what people said about last episode. The news segments need something, Like a ticker and labels for the people there. You could have some neat Easter eggs that way

Overall 5/5 characters that are probably going to die because I like them

Thanks ML!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:10 pm 
Creator

CAP: Thanks for The awesome feedback Cap!

The one thing I know I'm good at is taking existing concepts and blending them together into something new (A La "SMB").

Mario has grown pretty wise in his old Age. He knew that Denise had figured him out, and decided it was best to come clean so he could figure out who else knew. And as it turns out, she's the only one, she didn't tell a soul. He believes her, and therefore trusts her.

Good to know that Chris' 20 seconds of fame had such a pronounced effect on you lol.

Originally I wanted "Gibbs" To have a mustache, but failed to get one that looked good on chris. Also most everything made him look like luigi, and I wanted to make sure that there was no confusion. Gibbs is a new character.

Hiddenone Thanks again for an in depth analysis.

Doug's Character, Like most of the characters in the show, is inspired by a similar character in Frank Millar's "The Dark Knight Returns" Graphic Novel, Where a Doctor Claims that Batman is a sociopath.

To help you out on memorizing names, here's a list of characters so far:

Rich - Michael/Mario

Christina and Matt -- News Anchors

Jackie - Denise Wright

Chris - Lt. John Gibbs

Tim - Ness

Doug - Dr. John Horus

Garret - Clause (The Goomba)

???????? - The Koopa

I'm glad to know you liked the characters

TO ALL I understood your initial complaints about the news scenes. But that's actually how I want them. Sort of 1980's news that you would see in a comic. (Well, basically the news for Frank Millars World). I appreciate your concerns, but believe me, If I wanted the news scenes to be modern looking, I could have done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VYC2-2yJM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 pm 
Storyteller

Richalvarez wrote:
Good to know that Chris' 20 seconds of fame had such a pronounced effect on you lol.

I've always gravitated toward the Lawful Good characters, but don't worry, you're rendition of this Mario is done well. Especially the "I'm getting a bit old for this" attitude expressed toward the Goombas!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:22 pm 
Newcomer

Hey guys! This show is absolutely fantastic so far! This show is really really good and it's great to see how much you guys have improved! I liked episode 2 even better than the first one! Richie was a great actor. We haven't seen much Chris stuff yet but so far his stuff is good! I like this take on a super hero type Mario and the fact that this is like a successor to SMB. There were some things in episode 1 I didn't like too much but I couldn't think of any complaints for this episode. I was wondering how the Arial shots worked because you didn't mention those in the PD's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:48 pm 
Novice

The Red and Blue Crusader. Heh, reminds me of Clark Kent's first alias, The Red-Blue Blur, in "Smallville." But I'm diggin' it! The fight scene three minutes in is pretty freakin' cool; the choreography is nice. Doug's character is pretty devious, I'm really curious to see how he'd interact with Mario, if they ever do. He seems to me like a J. Jonah Jameson-type, thinking Mario's a menace to society. I also like Jackie's character Denise; I like that Mario's now kind of got a sidekick of sorts in her, someone he can talk to and share his thoughts with. And the Koopa in this episode, DANG! He certainly doesn't take any crap! I'm hyped for the next episode, can't wait to see what happens next!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:36 am 
Role Player

I enjoyed the episode overall! The only wonder I have is how Denise (Jackie) came to the conclusion of Michael being Mario. Did she frequent the same coffee shop we initially saw him in and always wondered who that reserved, slightly grumpy man was? Not really a big deal, it's just the one curiosity.

It was really great seeing everyone back together. Chris playing the ever good guy, Doug being the token a**hole every story needs, Jackie being the one girl Mario has on his side. It all looks incredibly promising!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11 am 
Freelancer

Well I definitely enjoyed this episode overall and I'm loving the steady progression of the plot as it goes on.

Plus I kinda enjoyed Denise/Jackie's scene as it subverts the usual secret identity plots you frequently see. Plus I'm really interested to see how things go between Mario and Lt. Gibbs.

Also that appearance by Doug as the jerk doctor is impeccable.

And that fight scene is really well shot and choreographed. And that little x-ray vision(?) sequence was pretty cool...or should we call it Plumber Vision.

....I'll go now.

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:31 pm 
Commentator

Richalvarez wrote:
Doug's Character, Like most of the characters in the show, is inspired by a similar character in Frank Millar's "The Dark Knight Returns" Graphic Novel, Where a Doctor Claims that Batman is a sociopath.

TO ALL I understood your initial complaints about the news scenes. But that's actually how I want them. Sort of 1980's news that you would see in a comic. (Well, basically the news for Frank Millars World). I appreciate your concerns, but believe me, If I wanted the news scenes to be modern looking, I could have done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VYC2-2yJM

Ahhh, ok. I haven't ready that graphic novel, but good to know.

I was never really bothered by the news scenes. Was the fact that it wasn't modern really bothering everyone that much? Or did I miss what the criticism for those scenes were? I only had the chance to briefly scan the last thread, so I may have missed it.

Jade wrote:
I enjoyed the episode overall! The only wonder I have is how Denise (Jackie) came to the conclusion of Michael being Mario. Did she frequent the same coffee shop we initially saw him in and always wondered who that reserved, slightly grumpy man was? Not really a big deal, it's just the one curiosity.

Glad that wasn't just me wondering that. The explanation for why Michael is Mario, once she started to investigate them, made sense. Why she would try to find out who Mario is (for non-corrupt reasons) made sense. But since this isn't Bruce Wayne we're talking about, it was a bit confusing.

But seeing as I have no prior knowledge of the graphic novel "The Dark Knight Returns", I'm not sure if there was a similar scene in it that may have explained what exactly was missing here.

Super Smash Brothers 4 - October 3rd(3DS)/Holiday 2014(Wii U). Currently up to a 37 (39 if you count each Mii Fighter as a separate character) Character Roster. Already past Melee, 3 (1 again if you count each Mii separate) below Brawl.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:30 pm 
Newcomer

After episode one getting the plot jump started so quickly, I was worried that by the end of this episode, Mario would already have found that secret goomba hideout or something. Thankfully, this episode slows the pacing down a bit, making it quite enjoyable.

One thing I find myself liking the most at the moment is dialogue between Mario and other characters. I just like his personality and such. Communication between villains though... well... I'll mention that later. The fight scene was also incredible and although I first found it to short, I then remembered this is only episode 2! I'm sure you're saving the best for last instead of handing us the only good fight this early in the season. Camera angles and opening scenes are quite excellent as well (love that opening shot of your logo appearing). Oh and that goggle effect is cool to, I just hope it actually has a purpose later other than you just switching it on from time to time to look cool. But no episode is perfect and I did list a few flaws below.

Doug's and Chris's intros in the news broadcast was a little to quick. I quite honestly would have been fine with hearing a few good minutes of these guys talking. I also feel like you missed out on a really good chance to have Mario turn on the news, hear what the doctor has to say, and just sit their as his entire life gets bashed by this guy. The interaction between villains is a bit sloppy in my opinion. Such as the scene where the Koopa appears on the news and in the VERY NEXT scene, appears to Claus. Some of their dialogue just seems a little strange. Lastly, one thing that bothered me was Claus's voice. With him being such an epic fighter and threat, I expected some deep and threatening voice. Claus's current voice just sounds like hes an average dude in a ski mask.

I'm sure Richie will make our love for Claus's character as well as the Koopa grow even stronger as time goes on. They already seem interesting and I'm looking forward to some serious back story! Good job Richie, 8/10.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:41 pm 
Veteran

Alright. I enjoyed the episode. Chris, I know you said you, Richie and Andrew split the work among yourselves when it came to the cinematography. It seems to me though, Chris that you were behind the camera the most and the cinematography was best at those times. (Note: I'm not putting the aerial shots into this.) So applaud yourself, Chris. You're doing a good job. The line of action seems pretty consistent and you don't seem to cross it, unless I missed something. Don't sell yourself short, Chris. Keep up the camera movement, too.

Alright, now I will comment on the audio this time. I have to know, have you invested in a boom pole and shotgun mic yet? I know it's expensive but still. It was the one thing I noticed the most this time, and last, although I did not comment on it. The audio was a bit inconsistent. You want to get the mic up as close to your subjects as possible without being in the shot. Sound travels upward at a 45 degree angle, so booming from above is ideal.

Now that the technical side is out of the way, I'll comment on the story. Okay, so it is somewhat believable, at least in the film's space that the girl could have found out Mario's identity. I wonder if the Koopa is who I think it is, and I'm hoping it's not, because then it would have been too predictable. Then again, I've seen so many movies in my lifetime that it is hard to surprise me anymore. You seem to be doing pretty well in engaging the audience.