The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Symbolism in Episode 4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:23 am 
Newcomer

I believe that Waluigi doesn’t want to “share a room with Donkey Kong” because he doesn’t want to think about about his own human nature. I interpreted this “room” as being his own headspace.

Maybe Mario and Waluigi are embarrassed by the fact that they are essentially both apes wearing clothes?

Maybe Donkey Kong is a demon they create in their own minds. A symbol hat they project their fears onto? The game “Donkey Kong” is likely a derivative work of the movie “King Kong”.

I feel that Donkey Kong may not actually be a gorilla at all, but Mario’s mental projection of the roommate from hell.

Bowser could also be a mental demon. Perhaps he represents Mario’s boss in real life. Maybe Mario resents having to climb the corporate ladder i.e. “run through Bowser’s levels” to obtain
“gold coins”: get an income. Maybe he started out cleaning the toilets and was trying to work his way up through the organisation?

Mario sings about Bowser being “stinky and old” and “not exactly in his prime” in the JMK songs. Bowser is portrayed as the aging boss from hell. Bowser could also represent The Establishment, Capitalism or maybe Peach’s father when he’s angry.

Mario could be the lazy, imaginative young employee of an elderly and difficult boss. Maybe Mario sees his overbearing boss as a dragon in his mind’s eye. Perhaps Mario deals with his stressful work life by playing video games at home and mentally projecting his anxieties onto that virtual reality?

The characters of Wario and Waluigi could represent work colleagues who “get the job done” at
Bowser’s office. Maybe there’s been rivalry over promotions, raises etc. Perhaps the pair are spreading malicious office gossip about Mario? Mario fights a mental battle with his rivals in his mind and has the support of his colleague Luigi. Being sent back to “The Mushroom Kingdom” could be a metaphor for Mario being fired or demoted. In this case, Peach could be Bowser’s pretty secretary, who’s caught in the middle of the dispute.

The mail boxes could be a set of company pigeon holes where memos are placed. Alternatively, the mail boxes could represent different employee’s email accounts (inboxes) on Bowser’s system.

Perhaps workplace bullying has been affecting Mario’s perception of reality. Maybe he’s witnessed
The symbol of Donkey Kong could represent the stranger in this instance, a convenient scapegoat for the company’s failings. Waluigi seems reluctant to share a room (office space?) with Donkey Kong. Waluigi’s character could be deeply afraid and suspicious of the stranger. In his mind, perhaps he sees the stranger as dark, hairy and monstrous. Maybe he sees a stereotype: a grunting ape who struggles to speak English, wearing a tie and makes assumptions. Bowser’s organisation seems very corrupt and encourages discrimination: Bowser promises that Waluigi will not have to interact with Donkey Kong if he just follows orders.

This scene could be paranoid delusions Mario has about being made unemployed (being sent back to “The Mushroom Kingdom”). He tries to assert his position by saying that he’s “staying here”. Perhaps he is worried about losing his job if Bowser’s company is downsizing. Maybe Mario is starting to feel the effects of burnout: he frequently talks about escaping, comfort eating and going on vacation.

Last edited by Amber on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Symbolism in Episode 4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 am 
Middling

I don't think that much thought was put into it.

^Both brought to you by ML!^

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:17 am 
Commentator

I have to agree with YoshiFan. I don't think that type of thought process was put into writing the stories. Sometimes I see some unintentional (and sometimes intentional) bleed-over from what's going on in the cast's actually lives. But I think that's the deepest it goes.

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:42 pm 
Commentator

Wow. You must have lots of time to think about all this...

Thanks ML!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:31 am 
Newcomer

Something bothered me about how the other characters reacted to DK.

In History class, I remember looking at an old WW1 propaganda poster that read "Destroy this mad brute!". It kind of reminded me of DK and Pauline. I'm probably over analysing all of this, but the symbolism is there, even if it's put there unconsciously. Where I come from people are very sensitive (perhaps way too sensitive) about stuff like this. They are very PC about everything. Even a man in a gorilla suit would probably be banned on TV for fear that it might cause offence. No joke.

I'm sure that the writers didn't consciously mean for DK to represent a bullied person or whatever, but I felt uneasy watching the episode and was unsure how to express this tactfully. I felt very sorry for DK and how the other characters were talking behind his back.

I was trying to explore how the scene could be interpreted or misinterpreted by people.

It was a hilarious scene, but I felt guilty for laughing. I felt like I was siding with the bullies when I did that.

I did feel that there was something deeper going on in this scene, but I didn't really know how to express it. Sometimes writers might produce meanings that they don't intend or people might take offence at something that was never intended to cause offence.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:22 pm 
Intermediate

I don't wish to sound rude with this, but I think you are grasping at non-existent straws.

The show is STUPID mario brothers. Especially in the first season, it was intended fully as humor. The story is a clever way to tie the episodes together, as Bowser wishes for the Mario brothers to return to the Kingdom.

The fact of the matter is, if you believe in the symbolism you mentioned, talk to Nintendo about it. Rich, Chris, and the rest simply took the characters that Nintendo created and adapted them to the show they created.

DK is mentioned twice in the episode. Both times, it is talking about how DK, as a Gorilla, would make a bad roommate. I ask of you to sit back and enjoy the show. It has the word Stupid in the title; it is an absurd stretch to try to connect it to random ideas in culture today.

Every moment spent whining is forever a moment lost from doing something about it
Also, THO has lost the game. It's true

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:12 pm 
Fan Girl

plasticmanticor wrote:
I don't wish to sound rude with this, but I think you are grasping at non-existent straws.

The show is STUPID mario brothers. Especially in the first season, it was intended fully as humor. The story is a clever way to tie the episodes together, as Bowser wishes for the Mario brothers to return to the Kingdom.

The fact of the matter is, if you believe in the symbolism you mentioned, talk to Nintendo about it. Rich, Chris, and the rest simply took the characters that Nintendo created and adapted them to the show they created.

DK is mentioned twice in the episode. Both times, it is talking about how DK, as a Gorilla, would make a bad roommate. I ask of you to sit back and enjoy the show. It has the word Stupid in the title; it is an absurd stretch to try to connect it to random ideas in culture today.

I agree with plastic and everyone else here, exept the author of this topic.

Knowing Richie, I know he would reply to this topic with:

"I just thought it would be funny lol"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 pm 
Newcomer

Celes wrote:
plasticmanticor wrote:

I'm enjoying the show very much, or I was enjoying it until I began to over analyse it when I was depressed. This isn't Richie's fault, DK is basically a Japanese cutisfied derivative version of King Kong. I don't know if Nintendo was really aware that DK could carry all of that King Kong symbolic baggage. They probably just wanted to make a fun game with jumpman and a pixelated gorilla. I was curious about the movie King Kong, so I read up the semiotic analysis on it. I was upset and disturbed by some of the analyses I read. I had always known Donkey Kong as a friendly strong gorilla with a family, but King Kong seemed like a dark misunderstood monster.

I have thoroughly enjoyed playing Donkey Kong games. I also enjoyed playing The Jungle Book.
I'm interested in semiotics and when I read the critics' analyses of The Jungle Book or King Kong it kind of ruins the great childhood memories I had playing these games. I can see why critics aren't always popular. I also found a film studies analysis on The Lion King equally disturbing.

So if the "fault" lies with anyone it lies with the King Kong film critics and Nintendo's choice of subject matter not Richie.

When Richie goes into film making, he'll have his films picked apart and symbolically over
analysed by critics and academics studying postmodernism. I hope he'll be ready for that lol.

In English Lit, Media Studies and History I was told to try and symbolically analyse everything.
If I didn't do it well, I got low marks lol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:30 pm 
Fan Girl

............... okaaaaaaaaaaay.

...mmm don't read the critics, then, and just have fun!

Feel the love. Don't give it a label.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:31 am 
Freelancer

Amber wrote:
Celes wrote:
plasticmanticor wrote:

I'm enjoying the show very much, or I was enjoying it until I began to over analyse it when I was depressed. This isn't Richie's fault, DK is basically a Japanese cutisfied derivative version of King Kong. I don't know if Nintendo was really aware that DK could carry all of that King Kong symbolic baggage. They probably just wanted to make a fun game with jumpman and a pixelated gorilla. I was curious about the movie King Kong, so I read up the semiotic analysis on it. I was upset and disturbed by some of the analyses I read. I had always known Donkey Kong as a friendly strong gorilla with a family, but King Kong seemed like a dark misunderstood monster.

I have thoroughly enjoyed playing Donkey Kong games. I also enjoyed playing The Jungle Book.
I'm interested in semiotics and when I read the critics' analyses of The Jungle Book or King Kong it kind of ruins the great childhood memories I had playing these games. I can see why critics aren't always popular. I also found a film studies analysis on The Lion King equally disturbing.

So if the "fault" lies with anyone it lies with the King Kong film critics and Nintendo's choice of subject matter not Richie.

When Richie goes into film making, he'll have his films picked apart and symbolically over
analysed by critics and academics studying postmodernism. I hope he'll be ready for that lol.

In English Lit, Media Studies and History I was told to try and symbolically analyse everything.
If I didn't do it well, I got low marks lol.

Your lessons shouldn't count to a show like this. Plus really analyse EVERYTHING not every show or movie, book etc has something very symbolic behind it.

So in the words of Mystery Theatre 3000. Just sit back and enjoy the show.

Super Mario Numb3rs Forum: http://supermarionumb3rs.freeforums.org/index.php

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:01 pm 
Commentator

I agree with the others here in this topic, except for the author of course! What you said about DK and Bowser could be true, but I'm not breaking my head about all these things! I'm just watching and enjoying it! Nothing more! I mean, if you look to a movie, then you watch to enjoy it, not to see if you can find some interpretation (did I spell that right?!) of the real world!

I hope you understand what I mean!