The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:36 am 
Newcomer

Hello

Sorry I’m late.
I really don’t really know what to make of all these videos.

Sometimes, I feel like I’m watching an outdoor production of Shakespeare, what with all the sword fighting and those gnome/fairy like beings from “The Mushroom Kingdom” getting lost in the forest. “Stupid Mario Brothers” reminded me of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”. The boys put their girlfriends on pedestals and call them “Princesses” (the storyline's very medieval). There’s also the obligatory Shakespearean “Love Triangle” thing going on with some of the characters. So, I don’t know whether this is actually meant to be a bizarre romantic comedy or a farcical soap opera with guns.

Or is it meant to be some kind of post-modern Commedia dell Arte? With stock characters wearing newsboy caps instead of masks? I’m confused.

As a viewer, I feel like I’ve gate-crashed someone’s fraternal Halloween Party. This costume party seems to be taking place in the middle of a magical warzone that’s crawling with Ninjas, Jedi Knights and Policemen. It doesn’t seem like a very peaceful place to hold a party, especially with everyone trying to beat each other up all the time and battle the malevolent forces of “Darkness”. There’s gladiatorial morbid humor. It all seems very random, so I can’t help laughing.

Sometimes, I don’t know if I’m actually watching grown men being silly or little boys that never really “grew up” (not that growing up is the greatest thing ever). I wonder if I am in fact watching two “Peter Pans” singing infantile/pseudo-Freudian lyrics mocking “MTV” Music videos. Or am I watching remakes of used car adverts? I figured out that I’m watching some kind of electronic tribal advertainment aimed at a niche market, but I still don’t know what’s really being advertised. A plumbing service, video games or a movie?

What about the subversive pseudo-product placement?
Should that be called subversive advertainment or just “subvertainment”?
Is this guerrilla advertising or just gorilla advertising?
Or just incidental references to products and logos dressed up to look like infomercials?

Fan Film Culture Jamming?
Parody Gross Out Social Commentary?
Live Action Video Game Satire?

A lot of hard work seems to have been put into the show: I’m impressed.
It’s very well done. I just don’t know how to classify it.

What is this new cinematic genre Richard has created?

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 am 
Commentator

Wow. Intresting things you've said.
Anyways; welcome to the forums. I'm Lady Juse, but most people just call me Juse.
Remember to read and follow the rules; make simple contributions to the fandom, which you have done with that post of yours; and have fun!

Thanks ML!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:14 am 
Middling

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!! And from all the stuff you wrote I can tell you're very smart.

^Both brought to you by ML!^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:37 am 
Fan Girl

......... Yeah. Welcome.