The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: My Darkness costume at Fanime 2012! (pictures included)
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am 
Newcomer

Hi, forum-folks! I attended FanimeCon 2012 this year, and I wore my Darkness costume the entire weekend, including for the meetup with Chris and Richie. I wanted to share a few pictures and get some opinions, so here you go.

Spoiler:
Headshot with Chris and Richie (personally my favorite picture): Image
Full front view, with Chris and Richie: Image
Everyone at the meetup: Image
With the jacket: Image
Slaying a creeper: Image
With Raz from Psychonauts: Image

Some people are calling me "fem/female Darkness" and "girl Darkness" after the meetup picture popped up on the RMA Facebook page, which I don't entirely agree with considering Merlin himself said that the Darkness isn't a person, it's just dark matter. It's only a he due to the masculine appearance. But I digress.

What do you guys think? What can I improve? :)

Last edited by MockCerami on Tue May 29, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Darkness costume at Fanime 2012!
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:45 am 
Freelancer

Seems like you had an awesome day at Fanimé!
I wish I could go to this someday, but I'll probably have to wait until I'm more into my adult age (currently 17 and will graduate high school next year.)
Depending on how things go, I hope to do lots of road trips in Canada and the United States. Meet my American friends I've never met in person, maybe meet Richard and Chris at a convention center, filming locations, or just plain travelling.

Your Darkness costume is pretty good! It definitely has the originality as if Mario was wearing a dark suit, and you just like Richard did manage to put on that extra look to look more evil, like the chains, coat, and gloves that don't cover your fingers. It's really well done.

Post subject: Re: My Darkness costume at Fanime 2012!
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:28 pm 
Newcomer

Nitsua94 wrote:
Seems like you had an awesome day at Fanimé!
I wish I could go to this someday, but I'll probably have to wait until I'm more into my adult age (currently 17 and will graduate high school next year.)
Depending on how things go, I hope to do lots of road trips in Canada and the United States. Meet my American friends I've never met in person, maybe meet Richard and Chris at a convention center, filming locations, or just plain travelling.

Your Darkness costume is pretty good! It definitely has the originality as if Mario was wearing a dark suit, and you just like Richard did manage to put on that extra look to look more evil, like the chains, coat, and gloves that don't cover your fingers. It's really well done.

Ahh. Well, good luck! I'm 16, but I live close to the convention center and I've been going to Fanime since I was in 6th grade or so. So I guess I'm just lucky in that aspect.

Thank you! I tried to make it so the costume was focused less on 100% accuracy, and more like my personal spin on The Darkness. But I plan on adding a few elements that will make it closer to Richie's original costume.

Post subject: Re: My Darkness costume at Fanime 2012! (pictures included)
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 pm 
Fan Girl

MockCerami wrote:
Hi, forum-folks! I attended FanimeCon 2012 this year, and I wore my Darkness costume the entire weekend, including for the meetup with Chris and Richie. I wanted to share a few pictures and get some opinions, so here you go.

Headshot with Chris and Richie (personally my favorite picture): http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... hmin/2.jpg
Full front view, with Chris and Richie: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... anime2.png
Everyone at the meetup: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... hmin/1.jpg
With the jacket: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... hmin/4.jpg
Slaying a creeper: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... hmin/7.jpg
With Raz from Psychonauts: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm23 ... hmin/5.jpg

Some people are calling me "fem/female Darkness" and "girl Darkness" after the meetup picture popped up on the RMA Facebook page, which I don't entirely agree with considering Merlin himself said that the Darkness isn't a person, it's just dark matter. It's only a he due to the masculine appearance. But I digress.

What do you guys think? What can I improve? :)

That's nice, you took the Darkness and made it your own :)

How was fan.... f a n a m e.... uhmmmm... like?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:22 pm 
Newcomer

Celes wrote:
That's nice, you took the Darkness and made it your own :)

How was fan.... f a n a m e.... uhmmmm... like?

Thanks, I certainly tried :)
Haha, it's Fanime, pronounced Fan-uh-may.
It was really great, even though I had tons of trouble over the weekend and a lot of tears were shed (I had to deal with performing a children's play on the same day, and forgetting my super-important badge at home), but meeting Chris and Richie really made up for all of it, lol. I got the chance to see a bunch of other cool costumes and buy some awesome geeky stuff, like a stuffed Goomba and some shirts. Ramble ramble ramble.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:27 pm 
Fan Girl

I went to one of those once.
I'm not into geeky stuff but I liked that people there are very friendly even if they don't know you hahaha.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:53 pm 
Newcomer

Yeah, they're more fun if you're actually into the stuff that the con is focused on. But yeah, the people are my favorite part, honestly. Everyone pretty much suspends judgement for the duration of the con, it's nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:58 am 
Creator

MockCerami wrote:
Yeah, they're more fun if you're actually into the stuff that the con is focused on. But yeah, the people are my favorite part, honestly. Everyone pretty much suspends judgement for the duration of the con, it's nice.

Best fan costume i've ever seen. I've heard of people dressing up like the darkness but never saw one in person. I thought it was great. Maybe in the future add some dark circles around your eyes.

And i disagree with the "Fem" darkness thing too. Darkness has no gender, so "IT" could technically look like a girl if "IT" wanted to lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:50 pm 
Newcomer

Richalvarez wrote:
Best fan costume i've ever seen. I've heard of people dressing up like the darkness but never saw one in person. I thought it was great. Maybe in the future add some dark circles around your eyes.

And i disagree with the "Fem" darkness thing too. Darkness has no gender, so "IT" could technically look like a girl if "IT" wanted to lol

Wow. Thanks, Richie, I worked really hard on it so that means a lot. And yeah, I was planning on having much darker eye makeup, but things got really rushed that morning (I basically had to put on my whole costume in a moving car, lol), so I had to settle for just some eyeliner. But I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks! Any other suggestions?

And yeah, exactly, it was never a "he" in the first place. Even with the Darkness becoming more human, my costume is still based on the movie version. But if I've got the creator on my side, I guess that's the end of that discussion, haha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:17 pm 
Intermediate

Richalvarez wrote:

Tis a very good point, but I assume the reason people relate to it being a "He" over anything is, not only because of it always being male in form for the series, but also cause even in its shapeless/essence form it still retained the same, male voice. Had this wanted to be properly expressed (without having the Darkness ever shape-shift forms/genders), having the Darkness' voice be a merging of both male, female, and distortion (especially/mainly for its pure/essence form) would have solidified it as a genderless and inhumane being.

And now I'm getting to much into details here. ^_^'

Oh, loved the costume too, BTW. Forgot to mention that. XD

Remember:
THAT'S LORD GAVIN TO YOU!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm 
Newcomer

Great costume! Fell in love with it on Richies fanime vid on youtube. Now I just wish I had the time or the energy to make something like that. Know it doesn't look hard to do, but I get bored very easily xD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:18 am 
Creator

MockCerami wrote:
Richalvarez wrote:

Wow. Thanks, Richie, I worked really hard on it so that means a lot. And yeah, I was planning on having much darker eye makeup, but things got really rushed that morning (I basically had to put on my whole costume in a moving car, lol), so I had to settle for just some eyeliner. But I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks! Any other suggestions?

And yeah, exactly, it was never a "he" in the first place. Even with the Darkness becoming more human, my costume is still based on the movie version. But if I've got the creator on my side, I guess that's the end of that discussion, haha

The leather jacket first worn by the darkness in season 4 was what i intended to have since the beginning. But I couldnt find it so i settle with the gray trench coat. I never really liked the coat so i had darkness ditch it in the movie. I was happy to have the chance to bring in the leather jacket in season 4, as i believe it completes the look. I believe adding the leather jacket would be a cool add to your costume, and you can leave the hat on, that way you'll be closer to my original intention lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:20 pm 
Newcomer

Richalvarez wrote:
The leather jacket first worn by the darkness in season 4 was what i intended to have since the beginning. But I couldnt find it so i settle with the gray trench coat. I never really liked the coat so i had darkness ditch it in the movie. I was happy to have the chance to bring in the leather jacket in season 4, as i believe it completes the look. I believe adding the leather jacket would be a cool add to your costume, and you can leave the hat on, that way you'll be closer to my original intention lol

Ah. That's interesting, I didn't know that. I'm getting a leather jacket for a Tunnel Snake costume (from Fallout 3) for Halloween, so maybe I can use that. Thanks!
I think I'm gonna invest in some different gloves too.. I had to wear fingerless leather ones at Fanime so I could use my phone and get stuff out of my backpack. I just can't seem to get a good reference screenshot of the ones you wore in the series.

LordGavin wrote:
Tis a very good point, but I assume the reason people relate to it being a "He" over anything is, not only because of it always being male in form for the series, but also cause even in its shapeless/essence form it still retained the same, male voice. Had this wanted to be properly expressed (without having the Darkness ever shape-shift forms/genders), having the Darkness' voice be a merging of both male, female, and distortion (especially/mainly for its pure/essence form) would have solidified it as a genderless and inhumane being.

And now I'm getting to much into details here. ^_^'

Oh, loved the costume too, BTW. Forgot to mention that. XD

Yeah, that's a good point. I figured maybe it had something to do with Mario being its host, but the inclusion of the Darkness in its "pure" form in episode 75 kinda debunked that. But maybe it still had a male voice in its pure form to avoid confusing the viewers. Ah well. I don't know, the "THE DARKNESS IS A GIRL NOW?" comments just irk me regardless. XD Not sure why.

But yeah, thank you! :)

Mistress-Smith wrote:
Great costume! Fell in love with it on Richies fanime vid on youtube. Now I just wish I had the time or the energy to make something like that. Know it doesn't look hard to do, but I get bored very easily xD

Thank you! It's not as difficult as it is time-consuming. I had to buy and dye and trace and glue and cut a bunch of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:08 pm 
Creator

I think i'll be dressing as the darkness for sac-anime, you should come and check out the complete costume.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:17 pm 
Newcomer

Richalvarez wrote:
I think i'll be dressing as the darkness for sac-anime, you should come and check out the complete costume.

Why not dress as
Spoiler:
"The Tri-Spirit Mario?"

I thought the look was cool!

As evil as The Darkness is, the end of its life really gets to me.