The RichAlvarez Fan Forums

The Plumber Fans Return

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Stupid Mario Bros Fan Forum.</strong>

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Adopt a newbie section
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:07 pm 
Commentator

I know this may seem like a strange request but with all the recent new people and such I thought it appropriate to bring it up. Why not create an "adopt a newbie section" on the forums?

Heres how it works: A new person joins the forums and introduces themselves. An older member acts as a "mentor" helping the new person navigate the forums and answering any questions. This will also help promote forum member friendships. If it works it will also create a way for the forum to become a little more active as more new people "get used" to the way things work around here. It will help cut back on the spam and make things a little easier for the moderators.

So theres my suggestion :)

Post subject: Re: Adopt a newbie section
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 am 
Commentator

Wow. I really like that idea. I think it's great. But hard to implement. Some newbies might not want extra attention and some older members are already having enough trouble finding time to get on. Still, if the preservation and growth of this community is desirably than it might be worth a shot.

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:19 am 
Fan Girl

Mage, this is a very good, however ambicious, idea. I won't say 'count me in' because 1) have no time and 2) newcomers annoy me like you have no idea, like that dude reviving old threads, and I would become hostile and scare 'em away XD. But I do see how doing this will solve those kind of problems.

Hell, I wanna be adopted :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm 
Veteran

I think this is a very good idea, as it could help stop spamming of the forums, get them to know the rules more thoroughly, and help make the forum easier for them to navigate. I'll sign this petition.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 pm 
Novice

Lol I don't think this is a good idea at all.

1) Not every newcomer wants to be 'adopted' or threatened like a child. Most of them want others to take them seriously.
2) I think everyone should help anyone who has questions about something on the forum. The moderators are there to check the forums for spamming and inform them if they are doing something wrong.
3) I don't think there are many newcomers, let alone newcomers who are going to be active members. :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 pm 
Commentator

PokémonTrainer wrote:
Lol I don't think this is a good idea at all.
1) Not every newcomer wants to be 'adopted' or threatened like a child. Most of them want others to take them seriously.
2) I think everyone should help anyone who has questions about something on the forum. The moderators are there to check the forums for spamming and inform them if they are doing something wrong.
3) I don't think there are many newcomers, let alone newcomers who are going to be active members. :P

Okay first of all thank you for your feedback. Its good to see where things could or could not go wrong. Now though I think I should take a little time to clear up some things.

Quote:
1) Not every newcomer wants to be 'adopted' or threatened like a child. Most of them want others to take them seriously

Heres where you might of gotten a little confused. I never said any new person HAS to join. This is merely an option should someone want a little more help navigating the forums, or looking just for someone else to connect with on the forums so they feel more welcome. This is in no way a demand but rather a request. And since when did I say ANYTHING about threatning someone?

Quote:

While this is true, as I have stated this system is designed to help prevent the spam in the first place. In this way it will help make the moderators jobs easier. Not necassarily eliminate their jobs but lighten the load a bit. By having someone who can show them where and what kind of threads are good to post they can easily prevent further spam attacks.

Quote:

Okay let me direct you to the fact that recently Richalvarez has posted the link to the forums in his season 4 trailer as well as a couple of other videos. This has brought a group of new people specifically brought on by season 4. Many of these new people arent active its true but perhaps the problem lies in the fact they dont know where else then can post in the forums?

Im sure you have noticed as well as I how dead some parts of this forum are. This is mostly due to lack of posting. This is a problem which can be solved or at least partially remedied by a little active encouragement. Notice I said ENCOURAGEMENT not torture. The mentors arent there to scare people away and arent going to mail you a hundred pms just to get your attention. This is what the section is going to be about.

Got all that? If anyone else has any questions feel free to ask me or send a pm my way. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:16 pm 
Commentator

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I sort of adopted WhiteMage and look where she is now. Basically, I just watched what she did on the forum and gave her tips as they came up. I gave her links to stuff I was doing on the forum and made sure to comment on a lot of the threads she commented on (in the sections I participate in). I think that's the sort of "adopting" we're talking about.

The question would be, how would we implement this if we were to do it, WhiteMage?

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 pm 
Commentator

Aisling wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I sort of adopted WhiteMage and look where she is now. Basically, I just watched what she did on the forum and gave her tips as they came up. I gave her links to stuff I was doing on the forum and made sure to comment on a lot of the threads she commented on (in the sections I participate in). I think that's the sort of "adopting" we're talking about.

The question would be, how would we implement this if we were to do it, WhiteMage?

Each new member who is looking for help or has just joined the forums (again its optional but encouraged) will be directed to this section of the forums and asked to create a thread asking for "adoption". From there one of the mentors posts a reply saying they wish to help this person out. They do follow up with a pm if possible and get to know the person then help them navigate from place to place. Thats the best I can really go into detail about this...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 pm 
Commentator

WhiteMage wrote:
Aisling wrote:

Each new member who is looking for help or has just joined the forums (again its optional but encouraged) will be directed to this section of the forums and asked to create a thread asking for "adoption". From there one of the mentors posts a reply saying they wish to help this person out. They do follow up with a pm if possible and get to know the person then help them navigate from place to place. Thats the best I can really go into detail about this...

Another possibility I thought of is, rather than have the newbie take the initiative, have potential mentors approach the newbies (explain the system, volunteer to mentor them, etc.). A thread about the whole system could be where people could volunteer to be mentors, mentors could discuss responsibilities, and bugs could get worked out of the system. That way we could keep the mentors in charge of the system and keep things flowing a little quicker and smoother. Whaddya think?

^Thanks ML!^

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:27 pm 
Commentator

I think thats a great idea. All in all its up to Adam what happens in the end. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:58 pm 
Landsman

Location: At the NOPPCM Headquarters, preparing the world for Chris.
I like the idea. I'll sign.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:47 pm 
Commentator

Signed.

*pulls out his katana and scratches his signature onto it*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 pm 
Role Player

Location: In my own secret place, hiding from the cold world.
This isn't a bad idea... At all... Actually... Tt's a great idea! I'll sign! *Signs*

Image <-Thanks ML!

Life SUCKS,
but death sucks even MORE.